Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

low power bedroom amp
low power bedroom amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2021, 07:31 PM   #121
JoeAlders is offline JoeAlders  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoog View Post
This is my take on a low powered amp. Going to be reconfiguring my old DC7 amp to look like this over the next few weeks. Good for 7W and maybe a bit more. I would say that the tail of the input LTP will need a little negative supply, with it not been ideal.

Shoog

Shoog, are you willing to upload the .asc file?
Old 12th April 2021, 07:49 PM   #122
Shoog is offline Shoog
diyAudio Member

Here it is.
The power supply is designed round an old Sony receiver power transformer with a centre tap 45-0-45 winding into a voltage doubler/tripler which gives 240V for the drivers and 150V for the outputs The OT will be toroidal power transformers, the input transformer are from OEP who make cheap but decent audio transformers. The Diodes are just to get the sim working and can be any 400V rectifier. The chokes are florescent light ballasts.
Attached Files
File Type: asc DC7-Mk4_PSU_Final.asc (7.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Shoog; 12th April 2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 14th April 2021, 05:54 PM   #123
JoeAlders is offline JoeAlders  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoog View Post
Here it is.
The power supply is designed round an old Sony receiver power transformer with a centre tap 45-0-45 winding into a voltage doubler/tripler which gives 240V for the drivers and 150V for the outputs The OT will be toroidal power transformers, the input transformer are from OEP who make cheap but decent audio transformers. The Diodes are just to get the sim working and can be any 400V rectifier. The chokes are florescent light ballasts.
Thank you very much Shoog!! Much appreciated.
Joe.
Old 14th April 2021, 06:11 PM   #124
Shoog is offline Shoog
diyAudio Member

I have also modelled it with ECC88 drivers which gives more power output, up to around 12watts. Still the ECC88 is a weaker driver than the 5687 so in reality it may just not perform as well. I have done quite a bit of research and really it boils down to those two drivers or adding an additional gainstage to the front end. Adding an ECC88 LTP at the front into a 5687 driver LTP would give significantly to much gain - but would allow gNFB which should bring down overall distortion significantly. Zero negative feedback and less than 7Watts is more than adequate for me so I am thinking of sticking with the 5687.

Shoog
  Reply to this post

low power bedroom ampHide this!Advertise here!