• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A simple shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's the original one...

Attachments

• 6Y6 Youtube originale.png
    6Y6 Youtube originale.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 291
Perhaps VR tube would have higher noise than a regulator.

fyi - Shindo used a simple FET based cap multiplier on screens. If you’re not adverse to using a FET, this would be simplest and possibly the best approach.

I am not familiar with semiconductors. Since I have an extra 8 pin socket, I could use a 6V6, changing the two cathode resistors with one 560R resistor.

So it is perhaps better ... a single transformer and the cathode of the 6AF4 at 7 volts, with less gain, but with an even more linear sine curve... All this if the curves of Ayumi and PSU designer are reliable, aren't they?

Attachments

• 6Y6 + pre 6AF4 finale singolo alimentatore.png
    6Y6 + pre 6AF4 finale singolo alimentatore.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
In the end I did it like this ... at 30 volts DC at point A (using a Variac) and at minimum volume the amplifier already sounds very loud and already a bit distorted .... I tested the voltages at different points strategic and are accurate .... what did I do wrong?

Attachments

• 6Y6  Shunt 6V6 6AF4 2 canali Pk.png
    6Y6 Shunt 6V6 6AF4 2 canali Pk.png
    799.6 KB · Views: 149
Tested in this way, a single channel on a platform, using the same components, works perfectly ... reported with two channels, on the other hand, it always has the same defect ... volume too high at the minimum of the potentiometer and "wah-wah effect" when with the variac I exceed 50 volts ... the voltages in percentages are accurate in all points.. I also tried replacing the shunt circuit with a usual RC filter, but nothing changes if you have any suggestions because I no longer know what to think ...

Attachments

• 6Y6 + pre 6AF4 finale singolo alimentatore.png
    6Y6 + pre 6AF4 finale singolo alimentatore.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.