• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to "add tube sound" to a system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have finally purchased the components in my system. I went to solid-state again. I am asking what the most simple, yet have a decent way to add tubes to a solid-state system, and Tube roll? I do not know the terminology very well. I don't know if I'm looking for a buffer, or a line stage, or something else. All I'm trying to accomplish is to be able to add tube warmth, and tube roll, without degrading sound quality. Is a small something made that goes between the preamp and amp? Or between the DAC and preamp? Or does a tube product need to be large with a big power supply just to sound decent? I'm not looking for a full size 19 inch component, but something simple if that is made. I did search First, but did not find what I was looking for. Thank you for your help. Oh yeah, I'm running everything balanced XLR

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The Carver Challenge comes to mind. I believe he did give/divulge some insight into how he accomplished the goal and won the wager. He subsequently patented and marketed the circuit/amp. They're not that rare on the used market and do come up for sale from time to time. Not sure of the model but easily found

Last edited:
You'll need a DAC to get music out of your PC over to your new amplifiers, so might as well pick one with a tube buffer. I used to have one (cant remember the make/model, cant find it easily with an on line search, as "usb tube dac" is just saturated with myriad products) that would handle all kinds of 12AX7 style tubes and it was popular for tube rolling.

I thought I saw a tube buffered DAC for sale here this morning. That was this morning...

... without degrading sound quality.

That is impossible. As you have a solid dstate system the output Z of your pre should be ptretty low so why not instead of a tube get cheap vintage 1:1 input transformers on fleabay and put them between pre and poweramp. Small, cheap, might give you more of what you think you want in terms of tube flavour than the tube.

:) Anything extra is too much when it has no function.

What is Gain Structure?

As above. It's pretty pointless "adding" tubes and expecting better sound, or adding any extra component in the amplification chain. Think instead of "replacing" part of your amplification chain with a tube unit. That way the tubes are actually amplifying, which is what they are meant to do. A solid state amplifier is probably designed for a line input of 2v, so in terms of amplification you don't need more, just a DAC in. And the latest DACs are almost all solid state.

I myself believe in a solid state DAC feeding a tube amplifier. Others like to put in a preamp. If you do that, a DHT will give you the best sound, but they are DIY projects, not commercial ones with few exceptions. But I'd say money would be better spent on swapping your amp for a tube amp.

This question comes up a lot, and I also think as a result of a misunderstanding. Good tube amps don't have a "sound" - they just amplify in different ways. Some are warm, some are very clean and transparent.

Properly functioning HIFI equipment, tube or SS, does not distort to a significant degree. Equipment that does distort is an effects machine and not high fidelity.

A generality that definitely does not universally hold true is that tubes exhibit a distortion spectrum dominated by the 2nd harmonic, which is euphonic.

Perhaps a 12B4 based line stage working into a SS power amp whose drive voltage requirements for full power O/P are > 2 VRMS will give the OP some of what is desired.

An acquaintance of mine many years ago developed a hybrid chip in an attempt to make SS guitar amps sound like tube amps, not exactly a hifi application but a humorous story. When he was done the SS state amp with his gizmo measured EXACTLY (within the limits of his instruments) the tube amp he was trying to emulate.

Carlos Santana gave it a test drive and said, "the SS-modded amp sounded like white wine, the benchmark tube amp sounded like red-wine." He wanted red-wine.

Think instead of "replacing" part of your amplification chain with a tube unit.

I myself believe in a solid state DAC feeding a tube amplifier. Others like to put in a preamp.

Some are warm, some are very clean and transparent.

+1 on all these points... If your speakers are not efficient enough, or you like some punch for non-classical music, then just cut the tube amp off at 80hz relieving it of much work, and use a solid state subwoofer, or bi-amp your speakers if they are bi-ampable. Best of both tube and ss worlds.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Properly functioning HIFI equipment, tube or SS, does not distort to a significant degree. Equipment that does distort is an effects machine and not high fidelity.

A generality that definitely does not universally hold true is that tubes exhibit a distortion spectrum dominated by the 2nd harmonic, which is euphonic.

I agree on that.
In my main system, I can instantly switch in the SS amp, or the EL84PP amp.
With each one set (calibrated) for the exact same volume levels, there is no noticeable difference to what the speakers put out.

This "tube sound" idea which started a few decades back, is basically a marketing trick sparking an enormous amount of curiosity and revenue through hype and superficiality.
It wasn't hard to "convince" the audio buffs that some sort of "magic" was worth the investment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.