• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PP DHT output stage, is DC heater necessary?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It kinda depends on how skilled you are, DC escpecially current sources are very quiet and easy to implement. Some seem to prefer AC some DC.

speaker efficiency is also a concern. a 103dB horn is going to produce a louder hum signal than a 93dB shelf speaker.

If you want to cancel the hum from the filament, its possible but both filaments need to be in phase.

If your building on a separate power supply chassis i would go with DC for the simple reason you can send over relatively clean DC through your umbilical cord.

a LM317 is more than adequate to get low hum.

I use 250Khz AC for my heaters.

Attachments

• IMG_3805.jpg
    IMG_3805.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 194
That begs the question, I dont like pure current sources myself because they take too long to get the cathode to temperature. and if you use a common 317 as a voltage regulator it is going to affect the sound. If you use a modern LDO you need a output cap to maintain stability so your gonna be stuck with a cap across the fillaments.

@Gideon

I think it has to do with truely grasping an idea (not nessecary the math behind it but the intension) and simplify it first. In may cases it becomes clear and then you can start fitting more and more until it becomes complex but it is actually not. Most hobbyists want to start with something "Grand" like a 100 W OTL amp with 6 Power tubes per channel or difficult tubes like 6C33 etc. (i was no different). I see many people on this forum just waiting until they get ALL the answers before starting a new project. Just start and don't wait is my advise. Making mistakes is part of learning and not just follow someones idea. Yes, many here will try to help but the amount of info can be overwhelming and even be contra productive as there are 1000 ways to approach an issue and everyone of us has a "better" solution then the other ( i am no different in that respect). Studying circuits is great but smelling burning resistors is"enlightening"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.