• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Recalculate feedback circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I started my first tube amp project and decided to go for a 10W PP.
I have a schematic from the magazine "Elektor".

It look a lot like the Mullard 5-10.

I started ordering all the components, and the transformers just arrived.
They are from Amplimo, 8k 0-4-8 ohm.

Someone noticed me that the feedback resistor+capacitor (C2 and R4) should be connected to the 16ohm side (at least the way they are calculated in this circuit). I first thought the feedback circuit (C2 and R4) should always be connected to the output the speakers use... But no...

So my question is: how can I recalculate the feedback circuit so that I connect this circuit to the 8ohm primary AND my speakers to the 4ohm primary?

I know some basic electrics but not at this level... I would highly appreciate your help.

fig2.jpg

Thanks!
Regards

I was assuming the feedback circuit should always be connected to the 16ohm side, no matter if your speaker is connected to the 4, 8 or 16 side...

So this is incorrect?
If I use the 4ohm output for the speakers the feedback circuit should go on the 4ohm side too and with the values in the schematic (top right)?

This is not clear to me from the schematic ...

If the output transformers are not original as I suspect it is useless to use those values for optimum performance ...
You have to figure out how much NFB you need ( resistor ) and after that with a scope find the right value capacitor for clean 1KHz square waveform .

Last edited:
There is information on internet and diyaudio if you search .

Personally I would use a NFB resistor that will decrease by 2 the sensitivity ( lets say from 250mV to 500mV ) , thats about 6dB of negative feedback . I don't know if the amount for Elektor schematic is provided somewhere . If bandwidth is not sufficently flat you could use more
The value of the capacitor in parallel is chosen to have a 1 KHz square wave as perfect as possible , without overshoot ( tendency for oscillation ) or undershoot ( attenuation of audio high frequency ) .

Very similar to compensation of scope probes ... I think you know what I'm talking about .

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.