• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Supplier(s) For New Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a collection of tube and solid state gear that I would like to restore. The first of which will be a tube mono integrated hi-fi amp.

The caps for this particular amp are:

40mfd 400v
30mfd 350v
10mfd 300v
20mfd 25v
10mfd 250v
100mfd 15v

doing a quick search at Mouser, Newark, Allied and Antique Electronic supply, it seems like I will need to use more than one supplier to get everything I need.

I will be doing many more amps so I am looking for advice to streamline the ordering process, any suggestions will be appreciated.

I order the majority of my supplies from DigiKey.

You can sub some of the parts for higher voltage or capacitance ratings and buy less parts at times- or go to the next value up if the one you want isn't available at your vendor.

Need 40uF? order a 47uF. 20? order a 22. Etc. I'm also of the habit of using the same high voltage rating throughout the circuit for parctically anything other than the low volt stuff like cathode bypass, etc. As amplifiers warm up and aren't loaded yet voltages can be higher than specified, so using all 400 volt caps if the max unloaded b+ is 375 would be a good idea.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
+1 for rounding off to standard values. E3, i.e., 10, 22 ,47, 100 are common values. You may get lucky and find 33 uF as well. If not, and you absolutely need 33 uF, you can make one using a 10 uF and a 22 uF in parallel. Ok, so that's 32 uF, but electrolytic caps tend to have large tolerances. The caps of yesteryear were often +20/-50% tolerance.

Also, there's no harm in using a cap rated for higher voltage. 400-450 V caps are common as those are often used in switching power supplies.

22 uF and 100 uF 25-35 V should be trivial to find.

Tom

thank you for all of the suggestions.

I have two of these mono integrated amps. The previous owner had one restored but left the other as-is. I would like to restore the second one to match.

Here's the schematic and some photos:

View attachment grommes 55pg schematic.pdf

grommes 55pg schematic.jpg

Unrestored Amp:

grommes 55pg 2 top.JPG

grommes 55pg 2 bottom.JPG

Restored Amp:

grommes 55pg 1 top.JPG

grommes 55pg 1 bottom.JPG

Last edited:
I have a collection of tube and solid state gear that I would like to restore. . . . doing a quick search at Mouser, Newark, Allied and Antique Electronic supply, it seems like I will need to use more than one supplier to get everything I need.

I will be doing many more amps so I am looking for advice to streamline the ordering process, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mouser was offering reduced shipping for a while but now it look like Digikey is doing the same.

Digi-Key actually has a free shipping option that's always available. This can save quite a bit, especially on small orders where the cost of shipping is often higher than the cost of the parts. Details here:

Free Shipping On Parts Orders | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Consider LCSC too. You'll have to pay for shipping, but the prices make up for it and the quality is good if you spec out the right parts.

For instance, here's a 47V 400V 12000H 105C Rubycon for 90 cents. Rubycon|Rubycon 400BXC47MEFC16X25|Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded|LCSC

Digi-key wants 3.26$ for the same capacitor.
I don't have much confidence that any part distributed by a Chinese company is not counterfeit. It's such a widespread problem that I'm not willing to take the chance.

The huge price difference ($.73 vs $2.36 usd for the cap linked) makes me even more suspicious since all large distributors presumably purchase parts directly from the various manufacturers and buy such large quantities that differences in shipping costs should not result is such a wide disparity in price.

They only order from manufacturers and authorised suppliers and are certified as such. Also they look and test the same. Digi-key has higher profit margins and includes shipping. Of course LCSC is cheaper!

All the factories are in China - Why wouldn't it be cheaper for a Chinese supplier to get them? Shipping from the manufacturer is almost free.

In any case, that's just my experience. You can google to find plenty of other people who say they are legit. If you don't feel comfortable with they, pay more from a US supplier :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Their Magnovox can cap is an exact match for my Grommes...

Magnavox 40-30-10-20 uF Can Capacitor – Hayseed Hamfest LLC
Hayseed makes an excellent product, they stuff them with high quality individual caps. If you don't have room to put individual caps underneath, Hayseed is the way to go.

OTOH, those same caps, using modern values (47uf, 33uf, 10uf, 22uf) can be found at DigiKey for $5.43 with free shipping.

Some say it's worth paying ~8x more (including shipping) for the convenience of simply replacing the can. In most cases, I find it's actually more convenient to mount them underneath because the original cans are typically soldered to the chassis in a few spots and it takes a serious iron to get them out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.