• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Data Sheets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, it could be useful if someone could draw up MORE CONSERVATIVE data sheets for (some) new production valves which are likely to meet an early demise if operated near the limits of the original specs. Also, I am sure many of us are guilty of thinking we discovered something through our own independent thought only to discover later that "there is nothing new under the sun".

The early vintage (about 20 years ago) Chinese KT88's were known to blow up. I had one of them spark out so bad that the glass shattered, and I was running them well BELOW the typical ratings for a KT88 (35 watts of push pull audio power from a 400 volt supply).

On the flip side of that coin, I have a pair of 15 year old Shuguang twin plate 2A3's that are quite happy making almost 6 watts in SE on 380 volts. Do I recommend this, or desire to change the specs on the "2A3" just because these can eat 380 volts without issue? Would I put some of my old RCA's in that same amp? I don't think so.

Hey, my first "computer" came from the same company that made Tiger Amps, SWTPC. It ran a MC6800 chip at a blazing 921 KHz with 2 KB of RAM. By the time I had upgraded it to fill a whole workbench and dim the room lights on power up, it could beep out a simple song via three 8 bit parallel ports. A $2 pic chip or Arduino Nano could kick its butt right off the bench today. Next came the TRS-80 and the Apple II clones.

Then this little company about 20 miles north of me unleashed their "top secret" project and the world changed. A friend who was a PC board layout contractor on that project showed up at my house one day with a pickup truck bed full of scrap from their plant. I managed to build two complete computers from that scrap, his was a yet unseen IBM PC XT, and mine was an original 5 slot PC. Both with 256 KB memory and Shugart 360K floppy drives.

it's too bad... I would have shared this otherwise very obvious bias short-cut for a 300b amp. but I am sure if I did, the Valve Lizard would just put up on his website, and others who build 300b professionally would use it instead....

Mocking MB won't win you any friends. The secret of yours I would like is how you got 9 watts out of an 6V6 in SE as claimed in your Youtube video. Do you have a datasheet for that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.