• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL34 regulate g2 for 845 SET.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Guys..me seek advice and guidance for the attached schematic below. Am not sure I did it right for the EL34 grid with a plate choke in series!? A 140H redundant from my EL33 built. I'm no EE and have no scope to check it's performance except depending on my 77 yrs. old ears for judgement. Initially, it was triode strapped but now it's pentode mode. Honestly, not as smooth but like they said, everything is a compromise. Wow..it wake-up my 604E, more meat on the bone and oooomph!

Thanks for dropping by!
Don't take chances, stay Healthy!

Attachments

• 20210114_160426.jpg
    20210114_160426.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 268
Alright, interresting! I'm slowly planning a GM70 build and was thinking of using an EL34 to be able to drive it into class A2 so this comes quite close in approach.

Can I ask why you are using "only" 480 volt on the anode of the 845? This is only the second time I see one of those big boy triodes with a B+ under 800 volt so I'm curious for your reasoning :)

P.S. I wouldn't mind seeing a photos of your amplifier

@Zekk I meant more why you opted to go for about half a kilovolt of B+ for an 845 while most people choose about a kilovolt

This question should be direct to Dave Slager, who's a diehard low power 845 fan.
If it can function and partner well with my Altec 604E of 101dB, why crossover to a dangerous zone?
To be honest, it was built out of curiosity and with parts available in hand, let's tryout a low voltage, low cost, 845 SET! I was surprised it out-shine my EL 156 set, despite using expensive double-c OPT.

Attachments

• DSC01470.jpg
    DSC01470.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 157
Second getting rid of the 35kOHm R and the zeners. Dropping 250-ish volts across 35kOhm is not going to allow much EL34 g2 current. MOSFET drain to 480, gate to resistive divider delivering the specified voltage and source to the EL34's g2.

Mind your heat sinking of the MOSFET. It will help some to put some resistance to ground so that the gm of the 'FET is higher at idle...but mind the dissipation/heat sink requirements.

I have a straight pentode amp under construction. Big sweeps, and their g2 V set based on the load at about 1/4 of B+. Heat sink resistance of 3 C/W and that is not as much margin as I would prefer.

If you can keep the EL34's g2 where you want it, I think you will quite like the result.
cheers,
Douglas

Second getting rid of the 35kOHm R and the zeners. Dropping 250-ish volts across 35kOhm is not going to allow much EL34 g2 current. MOSFET drain to 480, gate to resistive divider delivering the specified voltage and source to the EL34's g2.

Mind your heat sinking of the MOSFET. It will help some to put some resistance to ground so that the gm of the 'FET is higher at idle...but mind the dissipation/heat sink requirements.

I have a straight pentode amp under construction. Big sweeps, and their g2 V set based on the load at about 1/4 of B+. Heat sink resistance of 3 C/W and that is not as much margin as I would prefer.

If you can keep the EL34's g2 where you want it, I think you will quite like the result.
cheers,
Douglas

Thanks Douglas for the advice!
Can you post a schematic how it's done?
Best Regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.