Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

What tube amp to build.
What tube amp to build.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2021, 08:54 PM   #21
Jeff429 is offline Jeff429
diyAudio Member

How expensive does iron get for higher watts per channel?
Say 20 to 40 WPC. Still has to be cheaper than buying a commercial amp.
Old 12th January 2021, 09:08 PM   #22
Schmitz77 is offline Schmitz77
diyAudio Member

It can cost from $50 upwards the sky is the limit.
If you want good quality 40W push pull (Lundahl), it would cost roughly $500 for the pair. But thats not best quality, only good quality.
Go for asians and get two for $50.
Remember, with just a normal quality tube amp with 40W your right in the range to miss all that tube excitement a high efficiency speaker could give with a low powered, simple tube amp and may not be able to made up for that loss of sparkle. You will end with an amp that may cost you much more, and still not excellent enough for high quality listening pleasure.

Last edited by Schmitz77; 12th January 2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12th January 2021, 09:11 PM   #23
Demonkleaner is online now Demonkleaner  United States
diyAudio Member

Klipsch "Heresy"
Old 12th January 2021, 10:42 PM   #24
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff429 View Post
How expensive does iron get for higher watts per channel?
Say 20 to 40 WPC. Still has to be cheaper than buying a commercial amp.
That sort of power falls squarely in "El Cheapo Grande" (ECG) range. PP designs, which ECG is, frequently employ global NFB loops and ECG does employ such a loop. For reasons of avoiding core saturation, the O/P "iron" has to provide power handling capability above the design's full power O/P.

Edcor's product has a reputation for being a solid, if unspectacular performer, and an all around good value. This Edcor model will be fine in a 7591 based ECG or a Mullard style circuit employing Russian 6Π3C-E (6p3s-e) O/P tubes. FWIW, the tube sold by New Sensor as a 5881 is 6Π3C-E and it's pretty darned good.
Old 12th January 2021, 11:29 PM   #25
Brinkman is offline Brinkman  United States
diyAudio Member

What tube amp to build.
I would definitely consider a loudspeaker kit from DIYSG, though covid has disrupted their kit inventory supply chain.

Both the Vortex-12 and Vortex-15 offer high sensitivity, constant directivity and point source dispersion. Either can be build as ported designs for full acoustic bandwidth. The frequency response measurements of these speakers (esp the 15) is superb.

Doing so would allow you to consider the vast majority of tube amplifier builds, regardless of topology.

I used a modified ST-70 with Klipsch Fortes for years. It was the bug that bit me. I have subsequently built many of the DIYSG speaker kits. Currently building the Helix Dome MTM (92dB/W/M) which turns out is tube friendly due to its flat impedance (wasn’t aware at the time of purchase). I have a Vortex-15 in the build queue after that.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:52 PM   #26
invaderzim is offline invaderzim  United States
diyAudio Member

It looks like the Vortex ones are, at least for a while, no longer offered.

"I believe only 2 people ordered the Vortex-12's in the 1.5 years they were on the site. I'll likely put them back up at some point but I probably need to document them better with a better explanation on why they were made up and what makes them good."

They still have several other offerings that look quite interesting though. As soon as the supply chain gets moving at speed again.
Old 13th January 2021, 07:08 PM   #27
baudouin0 is offline baudouin0
diyAudio Member

You could do worse than a Mullard 5-20 amp. EL34 PP.
Or a kit such as a ST-70

Last edited by baudouin0; 13th January 2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old 14th January 2021, 04:48 AM   #28
Brinkman is offline Brinkman  United States
diyAudio Member

What tube amp to build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by invaderzim View Post
It looks like the Vortex ones are, at least for a while, no longer offered.
Hopefully it will only be temporary. There’s a backstory and the short version of it is the guys who cut flat packs for DIYSG are/were prioritizing covid-related hospital work over non-essential clients. Erich is reserving the drivers for when he can make flatpacks available. Other supply-chain reasons too but you get the idea.
Old 14th January 2021, 10:26 AM   #29
pl802 is offline pl802  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default "I am thinking of building a tube power amp"

hi Jeff429.
If you are going to build with vacuum tubes go Single-ended,which by extension mate well with Full-range Drivers.
The sound of a simple SE EL84 amp driving a pair of Goodmans Axiom80s.....set me on a journey of record buying that needs to stop.
All the best with your exploits.
  Reply to this post

What tube amp to build.Hide this!Advertise here!