• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Holding capacitors onto PCB valve amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am swapping out some capacitors and the replacements are going to need some support as they will dangle from the underside of the PCB. Is it possible to use silicone on he body or anything like that as that would be the easiest method? No room for cable clips or similar based on whats above

These work well, also for tiding up the wires.
H2f664541fb7d415bb2154e22a55e1e29z.jpg

Yes, that's the stuff. It has extremely strong holding power. Warning: although you can remove it, it will lift printed lettering off of plastic. I wouldn't use on caps with a paper exterior unless I never intended to remove and reuse them. But for plastic coated caps I've found it perfect.

Edit: cut it with sharp scissors. It's almost impossible to cut with a knife.

cheers, Derek

Last edited:
There are "non-corrosive" and/or "electronic grade" silicone sealers that can be used for this purpose. Generic silicone sealer does cure with acetic acid and is corrosive - the acetic acid gives its characteristic smell.

Nothing wrong with hot melt or tape for this, I presume.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.