Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Floating cathode and heaters power supply
Floating cathode and heaters power supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2020, 03:26 PM   #1
Bigwolf is offline Bigwolf
diyAudio Member

Default Floating cathode and heaters power supply

I read what "each tube have floating cathodes should use independent heater".
I do not understand why. For example, I use 3 tubes outside of audio path signal, one have 250V cathode potential (EZ80 rectifier), other cathodes connected to GND (EM800 indicator and TG1 thyratrone).
Each tube maximum cathode to filament voltage:
EZ80 500V
TG1 0 to -50V
EM800 +/- 100V

So, in that case I can connect all 3 filaments to one supply.
Is it correct, or should I connect middle of winding to ground, because EZ80 may give some positive voltage on heater(?), but it is not possible for thyratrone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TubeAMP.JPG (36.5 KB, 81 views)
Old 24th November 2020, 06:59 PM   #2
duncan2 is online now duncan2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not ideal if you want reliability in your power supply and amplifier as its down to the heater/cathode insulation of the EZ80 but its done , not something I would do regardless of other opinions considerable stress on the heater-cathode insulation at 300 volts .

For radio builders/repairers like myself earlier tubes for rectifier heaters had separate winding's .

How much do you trust a Chinese EZ80 ?

When you have a valve (tube ) tester like I have of an AVO VCM MK4 you come across low insulation again and again .
  Reply to this post

Floating cathode and heaters power supplyHide this!Advertise here!