• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Simpson VU meter repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I am restoring a Raytheon RC10 tube broadcast console from the 1940s. The large (4") Simpson VU meter is not working.
I have taken the meter apart, and inside the meter there are two wirewound resistors. The resistor that attaches to the + input terminal is open. I am trying to find out the correct value for this resistor. Can anyone help me?
Thank you
Tyler

Joined 2011
Last edited:
These meters have an internal rectifier assembly like all "real" VU meters have. I just happen to have one of these near by. So I opened it and measured both resistors. The one on the right measures 1.099K ohms. So it's safe to call it 1.1K at probably 1%. The other resistor at the top goes across the rectifier and measures 718 ohms in one direction and 2.810K in the other. All values include roughly 3 ohms lead resistance. Hope this helps. (Had I used one of my Agilent DMMs I could have nulled that out, but the B&K DMM was more handy)

Attachments

• Simpson VU.JPG
    Simpson VU.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This RC-11 manual has some RC-10 info, but only this much on the meter:
VU Meter: 0-1 ma DC Weston Model 862
Since most such meter movements have a basic 50uA sensitivity...

Where do you see "1ma"?

IIRC, the customary sensitivity was 200uA. (They are not quite as fragile as the 50uA meters found in high-end VOMs.)

Attachments

• RCA-RC11-VU-42.gif
    RCA-RC11-VU-42.gif
    69.3 KB · Views: 96
  • VU-sensitivity-42.gif
    VU-sensitivity-42.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 94
  • VU.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.