Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Point to point wiring
Point to point wiring
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2020, 08:10 PM   #131
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

This ↑ reminds me of a Hammond Concorde that I parted out last summer. About fifty individual PCB's, a harness of multiple looms among them, but no tubes, just IC's and transistors. I didn't manage to get the instrument functional again, due to warped phenolic (!) boards and the resulting contact issues.
I saved the manuals, the drawbar sets, the pedal keys with it's switch unit and the speakers, including the Leslie unit (a Rotosphere actually), for an upcoming Hammond clone build.

Best regards!
Old 29th November 2020, 09:07 PM   #132
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

I began my electronics journey as a kid in the early 60's digging through the trash dump to rip parts from discarded TV's radios and HiFi sets. Everything was outside in the Florida heat and humidity, so things like speakers and transformers needed to be harvested right after arrival. Organs were not common in the landfill, but I did rob the tubes and speakers from one or two.

I rebuilt an old Baldwin organ in high school. It was all PTP wired and used 36 6SN7 tubes in the tone generator. Leaky bumble bee caps were the biggest problem. Many had cracked from the heat. There were two power transformers in the main chassis. The big one was just for the tube heaters. The fat green wires went to a pair of bus bars that ran the width of the organ.

I would tinker with musical keyboards off and on for much of my life, but that old Baldwin was the last of the PTP wired tube stuff.......

Until a chance wandering through a thrift store stopped me in my tracks.....How often do you find a 1958 vintage Hammond M3 tonewheel organ being sold for $39.99? The manager said that it was being sold as a piece of furniture, and the power cord was cut off to prevent it from being powered up. I left a deposit and came back the next day in the snow storm with a van.

The big dude that helped me stuff it in the van showed me the power cord and told me that he couldn't bear to cut it off. The organ worked perfectly and his friends played it several times after the boss had left for the day. It does work nice.

Back in my teenage years I made a "Leslie speaker" out of a large paint can, a turntable, a guitar speaker, and some wood. I used it with a electric guitar, so no horns were needed. I can see a modern version of that in my future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000633_x.jpg (655.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg P1000634_x.jpg (679.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg P1000636_x.jpg (606.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1000637_x.jpg (666.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg P1000638_x.jpg (616.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 29th November 2020, 10:14 PM   #133
Demonkleaner is offline Demonkleaner  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice find! The current panwhatzit situation has seriously cut down on my access to the thrift stores swap meets and hamfests. Wife is taking it surprisingly well?

Point to point wiringHide this!Advertise here!