• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Point to point wiring

Does wire wrap count as p2p? It should?
1674782588587.png

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone ever see the inside of an analog vacuum tube computer?
As I ground my way thru the system I recall references made to very large analogue computers used to simulate power systems.
First running at 400 Hz, later at something like 10 KHz so that all the Rs, Cs & Ls could be an order of magnitude smaller.
And much quicker results. There was a couple of photos in one of the text books that covered large power.(y)

Does wire wrap count as p2p? It should?
View attachment 1135263
Well THIS brings back a bad memory. Machine wire wrapped board in a
Thompson Vidifont IV (broadcast television graphics generator for the
text) got a 40 pin IDC cable pinched and as luck would have it, shorted
+5V to ground. Replacing the IDC cable was trivial but replacing the 20
plus wires that melted the insulation was a pain in the a$$. Yes it
worked again.

Reactions: 1 user
Real point to point is just that IMHO. No circuit board or turret strips.

Here's a bass/treble control...

I am late to this string, my apology, but pc board wiring can be quite superior to "point to point" wiring.
It is important not to get caught up with strategies in marketing.

1. For instance, pc wiring can actually have fewer solder connections than hardwiring, thus less degradation.

2. See those bundles of wiring often used? Looks nice, but very bad as wire to wire coupling occurs.
Layout is very important.
a. Capacitance between wires increased by bundling, or proximity.
b. Pc boards allow for superior, consistent layout with superior high frequency performance. For instance,
a wire acts as an antenna as low as 2khz, and lower. This is not "pickup" due to capacitance. Important
are the impedances and distances involved.
c. With foils, one should use either thicker foils, or wider foils than one often sees.

Why is separation important? Because channel to channel coupling occurs, especially at the frequency extremes.
For low frequencies, coupling is often due to the power supply design. For high frequencies, it is often
due to improper layout, including leads, wires. What measures flat on the spec sheet is not flat when both
channels are operating at the same time.

Just some thoughts that should help with projects.

cheers

pos

Reactions: 3 users
#gorgon53 please don't take it wrong.. wiring for an old car was mentioned as being simple. I tried to inject small of amount of humor in the discussion.
Some old american cars wiring diagrams would cover most of a garage floor.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2006
Paid Member
#gorgon53 please don't take it wrong.. wiring for an old car was mentioned as being simple. I tried to inject small of amount of humor in the discussion.
Some old american cars wiring diagrams would cover most of a garage floor.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.
Hi Mike, i must admit i was a bit shcked by your compairment, but dont worry, no harm done ;)