Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Point to point wiring
Point to point wiring
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2020, 08:29 PM   #91
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Point to point wiring
Very nice...
Old 24th November 2020, 08:35 PM   #92
JoeAlders is offline JoeAlders  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz77 View Post
Philips consumer electronics in the post- war years until 1980's were high quality build and lasted very long. We had Philips black and white in the 1960s TV set and in 1970 our first color TV set by Philips. Those gear had to run everyday many hours. Every Philips TV packed thousands of near trouble free workload on their account over a time of at least ten years.
No one can say that this has been a company where penny pinchers ruled, I think the engineers ruled at those times. The same was with Mercedes Benz until the mid 1980s. They designed and engineered their products and afterwards the bill was written, some profit margin was added and that gave the end result for the customer to pay. Customers paid gladly, because they knew they will receive quality in return. That whole business model was eaten by the asians which flooded the markets worldwide with their cheap low budget stuff. Mercedes has eaten themself with their shitty plastic cars and they will go bankrupt soon.

I know......, I was one of them.......
But by the mid and the end of the 20th century and the start of the 21st century we also sold our I.C.'s to almost all asian TV-set makers. Our company was very successful in those years. Then Philips sold the Nijmegen plant which designed and produced these successful I.C.'s, to my regret (luckily after I retired in 2006). It is now NXP.
Old 24th November 2020, 08:38 PM   #93
JoeAlders is offline JoeAlders  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

@ deafbykhorns :

That looks very very good !
Old 24th November 2020, 08:44 PM   #94
advr is offline advr  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

How it started and how it's now. My SET 300B.

In between many different configurations and components. Sounding perfect for me and deadly quiet and no noise at all.

It was quite a journey and still learning.

2015-08-08%2014.44.21.jpg20201104_164223.jpg
Attachment 896474
Old 24th November 2020, 11:18 PM   #95
Demonkleaner is offline Demonkleaner  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you say electronic organ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg organ.jpg (667.0 KB, 174 views)
Old 24th November 2020, 11:34 PM   #96
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Point to point wiring
That organ stirs my organ LMAO
Old 24th November 2020, 11:36 PM   #97
Demonkleaner is offline Demonkleaner  United States
diyAudio Member

It's loaded with bumblebee caps too.

People are asking crazy prices for them.
Old 25th November 2020, 11:33 AM   #98
Schmitz77 is offline Schmitz77
diyAudio Member

...because they are able to produce a tone quality, no modern capacitor can. And thats what musicians are hearing and paying for.
Unfortunately, they tend to fail over time because of their paper dielectric become defective or humid.
But you can't copy the original Hendrix sound with modern components. Absolutely impossible. Its like trying to paint Mona Lisa with modern colors.
And most musicians know that. Most audiofools don't know that. Because they don't care, they prefer to talk about their new equipment rather than really hearing the difference. Mostly they are proud of what they are being able to purchase. If you look inside, poor parts quality. But because they have purchased it, it must be good, better and the best. "Look at this brand new amp. Because I purchased it, this must be excellent." Sorry pal, it mustn't and it isn't. The really first rate gear is what you are unable to locate and pay for. So much about the Bumblebee theme.

Last edited by Schmitz77; 25th November 2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 25th November 2020, 01:38 PM   #99
OldHector is offline OldHector  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz77 View Post
The same was with Mercedes Benz until the mid 1980s. They designed and engineered their products and afterwards the bill was written, some profit margin was added and that gave the end result for the customer to pay. Customers paid gladly, because they knew they will receive quality in return. That whole business model was eaten by the asians which flooded the markets worldwide with their cheap low budget stuff. Mercedes has eaten themself with their shitty plastic cars and they will go bankrupt soon.
There was me thinking it was something to do with the take over by Chrysler, and moving production to the States.
Old 25th November 2020, 01:41 PM   #100
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Yeah, those bumble bees and other wax paper capacitors. They've soaked water from the humid air and totally grown out of specs during the decades. Same holds for carbon comp resistors which are also being hyped especially by musicians. Their actual resistances often are waaay beyond the factory tolerances. Did the musicians play their certain amplifiers when they were brand new, with all cvomponents being well in their specs, and listen to their brand new sound? I bet they didn't. Hence it's all about an aquired taste.
Finally, what's this got to do with PTP wiring at all? I bet no one can reliably discern between PTP and PCB wiring just by his ears.
Regarding Mercedes: Yes, that Daimler Chrysler Connection surely wasn't the most lucky one. Hence it needed to be shut down years ago. If MB would ever go bankrupt, which I'm in doubt of, the reason has to been found elsewhere (too big cars, especially SUV's, too big engines, too high fuel consumption).
Best regards!

Last edited by Kay Pirinha; 25th November 2020 at 01:46 PM.

Point to point wiringHide this!Advertise here!