• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Workshop Audio Project - low power intro to playing with tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was going to let this thread die (not the project - I'm waiting for many Covid delayed parts) but I've run into an interesting dilemma. Early on there was a comment that it is unclear if the triodes from the 12AC10 would provide enough gain at on 96V B+. I put that on the back burner for a while but I've now gone back to looking at it.

So now I'm looking at gain stages using different tubes and I keep coming up with options with too much gain! Given the curves offered by Mona I need to keep the signal to roughly 8Vp-p. Assuming even slightly less than 1Vp-p in from Bluetooth I keep designing gain stages that give me 15Vp-p output from one triode. Not the ones from the 12AC10 mind you but from a couple of the Soviet triodes like the 6N16P.

With a ECC82/12AU7 LTP you get a gain of ~5x.
If that is still to much, apply some NFB.
Mona

Attachments

• PhSplt.png
    PhSplt.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 55
Thank you again. I appreciate your numbers but, as with the power output from the 12CA5, I'm happy to sit down with the data sheets and web sites and work through the design.

Figuring out the gain for a LTP is one of the things on my list. So right now I've simply been looking at single gain stages and knowing that if I add a LTP after if I will get at least a little more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.