• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Review: Dave Slagle Interstage Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My DIY C3g drives 45B monoblock project started several months ago. With the help of several DIYAUDIO members, the idea turned into reality in July/August of this year. See schematic below.

Since this summer, I have been thoroughly enjoying the monoblocks and dare I say, they are world class! With these amps, I listen more to music and worry less about equipment. The amps are fully extended, rich, harmonic, dynamic and temporal.

Originally, the amps had the wonderful and highly praised ISO Tango NC-20 interstage transformers. Since they were the original ITs used in the project, they had nothing to compare with. They were very very good ITs and are recommended for those seeking that special Japanese sound.

Yet, I felt as though the last bit of dynamic jump (aliveness for lack of better words) and upper end transparency was missing. The bottom end was great. Full mid-range. Rich tonality. But still wanting for more jump and hi-end.

So, I reached out to DIY junkie and amplifier designer extraordinaire, Jeffrey Jackson. He is half owner/designer of the EMIA products which I use for my phono stage and passive volume control. When I explained the situation and need for more jump and air in the upper end, Jeffrey suggested that I reach out to Dave Slagle of InTact Audio. Slagle is know for his world class transformers. I contacted Dave and within short order, Slagle was able to provide a pair of ITs that were built specifically for my amp circuit. I went with Copper (Silver potentially later).

After a few days of break-in, the Slagle's were ready for some serious listening. Immediately, the top-end was more open and had "air". This allowed the soundstage to become more 3D with depth and width. The recording venue was more clearly defined. This was evident on all recordings. My suspicion is that the Slagles have a lower noise floor and allow the micro-dynamics and subtleties to become noticeable. There was also a perceived improvement in dynamics: more "jump" and "liveness" to the sound. What I did not expect and thoroughly enjoyed was the natural tonality of 49% nickel ITs. Nickel is Dave's signature choice of metal. Nickel has a certain tonality that, in my opinion, is more natural than other transformer metals. Nickel is rich, full, open and earthy, just like live music. String instruments sound more like string instruments with Nickel. Brass (trumpet) sounds like real brass in the room. This might be a poor analogy, but I think of Nickel's tonality akin to an iron worker's metal shop vs being in a nail salon. I want music that makes me sit up and listen. Music that is powerful. Has drive. Hammer on anvil instead of nail polish politeness. Music that I can listen to for hours on end. Tubes vs. solid state. Tubes you can listen to all day. Solid state, not so much. Nickel is more of the tube "liveness".

If you haven't heard one of Slagle's ITs, please do so. You will be in for a treat.

At this point, I am going to let the amps settle for a while. I might upgrade a few resistors and try a new rectifier tube, but otherwise, all components are first class including the Slagle ITs and I intend of living with them.

Highly Recommended.

intact audio

Attachments

• C3g-45B v11 copy 2.png
    C3g-45B v11 copy 2.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,110
Billshurv,

Good point. At the time I owned the ISO Tangos, I felt they were considered best that I had heard. And I still believe, as do many others, that they are world class ITs.

Since then, I have purchased the Slagles and now feel as thought the Slagles are best in class, out performing the ISO Tangos in the areas described in the review.

Either way, you can't go wrong with the Slagle or ISO Tangos ITs. I prefer the Slagle ITs in my amp, but others might like the ISO Tangos.

Thanks,
Pat

You could try, oh, I don't know, maybe an 11K plate load resistor and a coupling cap...

Many of us have tried and given up in preference to transformers. Cannot see myself going back.

Otoh, comparing the sound properties of transformers on different cores is very hard. I have little doubt Slagle's transformers beat the NC20 but nickel is not for everyone. It is certainly not for me.

Topic starter might try direct coupling next, like Loftin White.

:up:

By the way what is the output power?

Glad you like the Interstage Tx’s, Dave Slagle does some great work and shares his knowledge, his websites, forum and blog are well worth taking a look imo. I have a pair of his step-up tx’s for my AN IO1 cartridge (1:70) so l’m only slightly biased ;)

The C3g --> 45B monoblocks are putting out about 4-5w. I am driving Ilumnia Magister speakers (90db efficient) in a 23L x 12W x 9H room. Very pleased with the drive and sound pressure from these amps/speakers. I listen to chamber music 90% of the time, with the remainder going to classic rock. At this point, I can say that I will not be returning to solid state nor push-pull tube amps. I really enjoy the sound of SET DHT. Yes, nickel is not for everyone, but to my ears it is sublime. Everyone has their own tastes. Just thought I'd share what I was experiencing. Good stuff!

Topic starter might try direct coupling next, like Loftin White.

Could use trafo primary as plate choke, series R between plate choke and driver plate to de-couple winding capacitance and drop required bias for output tube, would also raise minimum load impedance and increase LF response. Output tube grid to filament across LR in plate circuit of driver, remove RC in 45 filament circuit, driver plate direct to output tube grid.

Series filter CCS in driver plate supply, shunt capacitor to close AC loop to lock in bias for output tube and remove driver tube variations on output tube current with time.

HK

Last edited:
banpuku12,

You stated that your C3g--> 45B puts out 4-5 Watts.
I am reminding people that a 45B is not a real 45.
It is a new design by EML, and it can stand more voltage, more current, and more plate dissipation than the real 45.

Also, the Monolith Magnetics output transformers you use have some of the lowest insertion losses, versus many other brands that are commonly used by those who can not afford the Monolith models.

Your amp is in Class A2, the EML 45B can safely draw some grid current.
For a real NOS 45, probably not a good idea to do that.

Some newbee (or others) might burn out their precious New Old Stock Real 45 tubes trying to get 4-5 Watts out of them.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.