• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Little Dot II++ humming.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is a rubber ring between the toroid and the upper plate, can't say the same for the bottom part, I'll try to fit something insulating at the bottom, only thing I have lying around is cork that I used to dampen vibration from my speakers, that should do the trick I guess.

UPDATE: I re-soldered the capacitors, and well, either I'm very bad at soldering, or I broke something. Basically it's like the audio is muffled and extremely low quality (like a radio when the radio signal is really bad, don't know how else to explain it). Could this be caused by bad solder joints?

It is not a good idea to change two things at a time. If I understand correctly, you removed and replaced the capacitors in order to test them, and cut the jumpers for setting the gain. I think you need to restore those jumpers so that you can be sure the capacitors are replaced correctly, then look at gain as a cure.

nono the jumpers are on, they have a little cap that can be put on or off I never removed them. I just removed the capacitors, tested them, and put them back on, evidently I also did something else not on purpose. I also noticed now that it won't turn off unless I pull the plug.

Attachments

• Little Dot II.png
    Little Dot II.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 36
nono the jumpers are on, they have a little cap that can be put on or off I never removed them. I just removed the capacitors, tested them, and put them back on, evidently I also did something else not on purpose. I also noticed now that it won't turn off unless I pull the plug.

Having given myself a very unpleasant shock off a capacitor, please be careful with them. I wonder if you have somehow disrupted the link to ground, so that the capacitors do not discharge when it is turned off, except through the circuit? If so, they can carry a surprising amount of energy for a surprising amount of time ;-/

Looking at them the solder joints seems fine, don't know how to know for sure tho, every capacitor shows 170V between poles like they did before I desoldered them so I really don't know what could cause the problem, I also tried the old tubes just to be sure I didn't damage them but there was no change.
Should I try testing the blue rectangular capacitors? Is it possible that I damaged the capacitors when desoldering them the first time? Even if they read fine with the lcr tester?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.