• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Lifting centre tap for B+ delay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

If I have power trans with full wave rectifier, is it possible (and safe) to put switch between centre tap of secondary and ground to delay the B+?

I know ther is more proper B+ delay circuit out there, but I prefer the simplest one (albeit manual).
Any simpler way? Use Thermistor instead of switch?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

If I have power trans with full wave rectifier, is it possible (and safe) to put switch between centre tap of secondary and ground to delay the B+?

I know ther is more proper B+ delay circuit out there, but I prefer the simplest one (albeit manual).
Any simpler way? Use Thermistor instead of switch?

Thanks in advance
Delaying B+ is overrated and might be damaging to the power tubes.
What do you want to solve with this ?

Get capacitors that are rated for 500V or more.
Some are rated for 550V surge and 500V operational.

You may have to stack capacitors in series, with leakage balancing resistors across each one. You need 2X the capacitance for each one.

Keep in mind, if the output tubes ever die, the B+ will rise to 500V, just like they do at start up.
To quote the capacitor . . . Ouch!

And ask yourself, what happens if you, or someone else forgets to put the standby switch in standby before powering on the amp?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.