Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Elekit TU-8200 with 87dB 8Ohm Speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2020, 07:14 PM   #1
houseelf is offline houseelf
diyAudio Member

Default Elekit TU-8200 with 87dB 8Ohm Speakers

Hi, I am a newbie, planning to build TU-8200 kit and use it with KEF R3 speakers.
Speakers are rated at 87dB sensitivity. Please help decide if I am overly optimistic hoping to drive R3 with 8W/C amp.
Old 15th September 2020, 08:48 PM   #2
Adolf Corkscrew is offline Adolf Corkscrew  Finland
diyAudio Member

Well, it all depends. On your room, how loud you like to listen, what kind of music, etc. I use a 2W tube amp in my desktop setup, but I have a pair of 91 dB/W/m loudspeakers that are listened from little more than an arms length. And that 2W is ample power there.

Given a small room and a small listening distance (ear from speaker) it might just be enough. And it might be much more than you thought. If hitting peaks of ~95dB with considerable distortion is enough for you, then it might just fly. And for surprisingly many listeners it does. For popular music, where there is little in the way of dynamics, it should be OK. For critical listening of classical music you might find yourself wanting.
Old 15th September 2020, 09:16 PM   #3
duncan2 is offline duncan2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

KEF recommend a minimum of 15 Watts RMS for the R3.
Old 16th September 2020, 05:03 PM   #4
houseelf is offline houseelf
diyAudio Member

Thanks, this is what concerns me. I love those speakers too much to compromise. The kit is on order, and I will move forward with the build, just to give it a try. upon completion and some testing I will put it for sale if not happy with results.
Old 16th September 2020, 05:46 PM   #5
spiggs is offline spiggs  United States
diyAudio Member

Perhaps running this test could give you some data on how your speakers will perform using an amp rated at 8W

A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need?

From the test I found that 5W is enough for me using 88db rated speakers. This has been validated with the amps I have built so far.
Old 17th September 2020, 02:31 PM   #6
cbueche is offline cbueche  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I own an Elekit TU-8200 since a few years, I drive near-field Quantum Edelstein (rated 90 db/W/m) and I keep the volume very low. Plenty of power in triode-mode, driving KT88. I doubt you will have any issue, unless for large damped room. By the way I have a collection of NOS 12AU7 driver tubes that fit this amp perfectly. Telefunken, Philips and friends. Feel free to PM me if interested and in Europe.

Last edited by cbueche; 17th September 2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 18th September 2020, 12:23 AM   #7
hariadi88 is offline hariadi88  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,
FWIW, I used EL34 SE Triode connected with output around 6Wpc to drive 83dB Harbeth P3ES (LS3/5 descendant). I have loud enough output in 20sqm carpeted room. Mostly playing jazz, pop, and classical music.
I believe Harbeth speakers have rather benign impedance that helps to balance the low sensitivity. Not sure about KEF impendance.
  Reply to this post

Elekit TU-8200 with 87dB 8Ohm SpeakersHide this!Advertise here!