• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Elekit TU-8200 with 87dB 8Ohm Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, it all depends. On your room, how loud you like to listen, what kind of music, etc. I use a 2W tube amp in my desktop setup, but I have a pair of 91 dB/W/m loudspeakers that are listened from little more than an arms length. And that 2W is ample power there.

Given a small room and a small listening distance (ear from speaker) it might just be enough. And it might be much more than you thought. If hitting peaks of ~95dB with considerable distortion is enough for you, then it might just fly. And for surprisingly many listeners it does. For popular music, where there is little in the way of dynamics, it should be OK. For critical listening of classical music you might find yourself wanting.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I own an Elekit TU-8200 since a few years, I drive near-field Quantum Edelstein (rated 90 db/W/m) and I keep the volume very low. Plenty of power in triode-mode, driving KT88. I doubt you will have any issue, unless for large damped room. By the way I have a collection of NOS 12AU7 driver tubes that fit this amp perfectly. Telefunken, Philips and friends. Feel free to PM me if interested and in Europe.

Last edited:
Hi,
FWIW, I used EL34 SE Triode connected with output around 6Wpc to drive 83dB Harbeth P3ES (LS3/5 descendant). I have loud enough output in 20sqm carpeted room. Mostly playing jazz, pop, and classical music.
I believe Harbeth speakers have rather benign impedance that helps to balance the low sensitivity. Not sure about KEF impendance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.