• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Votage doubler safety

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it safe to use a voltage doubler on one secondary of a power transformer if the other secondary is a high voltage full wave referenced to ground?

Attachments

• voltage doubler.JPG
    voltage doubler.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 243
Is it safe to use a voltage doubler on one secondary of a power transformer if the other secondary is a high voltage full wave referenced to ground?
Sorry but that schematic is wrong.
Transformer tap #6 will be shorted to ground on negative semicycles.
And tap #8 is shorted to ground all the time through the bottom 470uF capacitor.

Last edited:
Wait just a second.

The answer to that question is yes. But that's not what you have. You don't have "one secondary" and the "other secondary". You have one secondary with multiple taps. That's a different kettle of fish. You need to make sure it's properly designed and wired. As said, you have a short in there.

Make sure it's all correct and run a sim if in doubt. Otherwise things can go boom ouch.

Wait just a second.

The answer to that question is yes. But that's not what you have. You don't have "one secondary" and the "other secondary". You have one secondary with multiple taps. That's a different kettle of fish. You need to make sure it's properly designed and wired. As said, you have a short in there.

Make sure it's all correct and run a sim if in doubt. Otherwise things can go boom ouch.

yes, and he can learn it the hard way....i did once and never going there again..

With the current (external) power supply, I am using two OD3 off of the B+ and that works fine. I am building a new power supply for the amp with greater current capability and the second set of taps off the secondary was tempting me to use them.

The half wave doubler appears to be a practical approach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.