Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Spark plug wire for tubes with a top cap?
Spark plug wire for tubes with a top cap?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2020, 07:17 AM   #31
H713 is offline H713  United States
diyAudio Member

Depending on the voltages involved one also must consider corona damage to the insulation over time. Some materials take this better than others. IIRC, Teflon is quite good and PVC is quite poor.
Old 17th September 2020, 07:21 AM   #32
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsaszar View Post
One has to consider aging, too. Plastic insulators can become rigid and brittle after the plasticizer components evaporate after a couple of years. Heat and UV radiation will speed up this process. If you bend such cable, there will be cracks on it, and the conductor will be exposed.
Silicone is an exception, and teflon also (I think). I use a teflon insulated silver plated copper wire, pulled in a transparent teflon tube.
Also HDPE....
Old 17th September 2020, 05:50 PM   #33
k35kk is offline k35kk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Another wire to try

Consider type DLO diesel locomotive wire. It's available as small as #14 gauge, with tinned conductors. 2000 volt insulation, with a jacket tougher than an old boot, proof against abrasion & petroleum products, yet flexible.
Old 17th September 2020, 06:31 PM   #34
wrenchone is offline wrenchone  United States
diyAudio Member

I would not consider any thermoplastics for top cap wiring - this includes PVC and the various forms of polyethylene. The heat from the tube will accelerate their aging. Rubber test probe wire, though admirably limp, does not age very gracefully. The only things I would consider for top cap wiring insulation are PTFE and silicone. As far as voltage rating, I don't go crazy about it, but make sure that points of maximum voltage stress (like the chassis pass-through) are protected. I use a rubber grommet to provide insulation, strain relief, and abrasion resistance. I've seen silicone grommets floating around, but I usually use the standard black rubber grommets.
  Reply to this post

Spark plug wire for tubes with a top cap?Hide this!Advertise here!