Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Spark plug wire for tubes with a top cap?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2020, 07:27 PM   #11
leadbelly is online now leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Please RTF post. The OP is correct in that racing wire is solid conductor, not carbon.
Old 15th September 2020, 07:42 PM   #12
Conrad Hoffman is offline Conrad Hoffman  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure if the racing wire is steel or copper. Still have a chunk in the garage somewhere. Mostly good for wrecking radio reception. IMO, the difference between OFC and ETP copper doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
Old 15th September 2020, 08:14 PM   #13
Windcrest77 is offline Windcrest77  United States
diyAudio Member

The red wire I posted earlier... not sure it is truly 0 ohm wire, I'd have to ping the company. But racing wire does tout 0 ohms, the problem is finding some racing spark plug wire at a reasonable price
Old 15th September 2020, 08:18 PM   #14
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

My bad. I should have read more closely. If it's truly low resistance wire, it should work. One of the reviews said it melted in one persons use so keep it away from the tubes. Also, it's gonna be pretty fat - it wouldn't fit into any of the plate caps I use.

You can get heater cord at any hardware store by the foot. I paid 20 cents/foot for mine. Just saying...
Old 15th September 2020, 08:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabmx View Post
My bad. I should have read more closely. If it's truly low resistance wire, it should work. One of the reviews said it melted in one persons use so keep it away from the tubes. Also, it's gonna be pretty fat - it wouldn't fit into any of the plate caps I use.

You can get heater cord at any hardware store by the foot. I paid 20 cents/foot for mine. Just saying...
This was all a passing thought I had not liking the dinky wire I see coming off the 807 on my breadboard. I like the idea of having the harness to the cap be very flexible and with very thick insulation and look professional.

I wire up motorcycle accessories in my riding club using braided PET loom in many cool colors and snakeskin patterns. So a bit of that loom around the heater cord might be just the ticket to make it look cool and more shock proof!

Spark plug wire is just too specialized for EMI, if this subject ever comes up again here.
Old 15th September 2020, 08:51 PM   #16
SpreadSpectrum is online now SpreadSpectrum  United States
diyAudio Member

Belden test probe wire is perfect. It reminds me of spark plug wire but with somewhat smaller diameter insulation, so it should work with pretty much any plate cap. It is cheap and it is definitely not made of anything weird to enhance its performance as a spark plug wire that will cause problems in your application.

I mean, give spark plug wire a shot if you want to and let us know how it goes, but test probe wire will definitely give you what you want and isn't expensive.
Old 16th September 2020, 12:53 AM   #17
wrenchone is offline wrenchone  United States
diyAudio Member

Silicone ultra-flexible wire, 600V rating, 18 AWG

18awg Electronic Wire Kit,Flexible Silicone Wire 6 Color 18 Gauge Hook Up Wire(6 | eBay
Old 16th September 2020, 02:12 AM   #18
Tom Bavis is offline Tom Bavis
diyAudio Member

I'd use 10KV silicone test lead wire - I may still have some white 40KV silicone CRT wire that would look good with the ceramic caps...
Old 16th September 2020, 02:37 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bavis View Post
I'd use 10KV silicone test lead wire - I may still have some white 40KV silicone CRT wire that would look good with the ceramic caps...
Good idea Tom! Amazon has 30KV white, pretty cheap too. It would match the ceramic caps and should be pretty safe for curious people that just have to touch everything. This one is about 4.5 mm .18 inch, it should make it into the cap.

XJS Electric Copper Core Flexible Silicone Wire Cable White 10M 32.8Ft (18AWG 30KV) - - Amazon.com

Last edited by Windcrest77; 16th September 2020 at 02:41 AM.
Old 16th September 2020, 04:37 AM   #20
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

I have some alpha wire 60kV 12ga. Magflex.

It's a bit overkill though! And only available in 30m reels.

But it is 100% copper.

Spark plug wire for tubes with a top cap?Hide this!Advertise here!