Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

What's your favorite circuit for the 45?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2020, 12:21 PM   #1
rkoonce is offline rkoonce  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What's your favorite circuit for the 45?

Title says it. What's your favorite circuit for the 45 and why?

I've been asked to build one and I'm interested to see what's been done.
Old 15th September 2020, 03:38 PM   #2
andyjevans is offline andyjevans  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I can only talk of my experience of driver stages with PSE 4P1L and 300b. I've tried out a lot - plate chokes, gyrator/active load, interstage... And various tubes from DHT to indirectly heated.

My preference is for a plate choke for the driver stage, using a Russian teflon FT-2 cap or rather 2 in // = 0.2uF.

I went through several DHT drivers. 2P29L was OK but not so sparkling in the treble. 4P1L was detailed and dynamic but a little thin. 10Y was very dynamic. 46 was a bit more subtle. 26 didn't have enough drive. 46 probably the best of the bunch. 47 probably as good.

Then on to indirectly heated tubes in triode (didn't manage to get a pentode to work). The high mu ones offering a 2 stage design are popular and plenty of possibilities. I ended up preferring a bigger tube like a 6V6 or EL84. They were both quite good in triode. Best was an EL33, which is currently in my system. Haven't tried 6P25, KT61 or similar tubes. This means you need gain in a preamp or DAC or whatever, but at least you get a good driver stage.

That's all I can say - hope it's of some help.
Old 16th September 2020, 12:56 AM   #3
Duke58 is online now Duke58  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the Tubelab TSE-II with 45 output tubes.
Old 16th September 2020, 01:38 AM   #4
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

https://www.wavelengthaudio.com/bugle.pdf

never heard it, but it does have a good reputation and is ‘proven’. I also think it’s a good design.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 16th September 2020, 07:04 PM   #5
Palustris is offline Palustris  United States
diyAudio Member

The Yamamoto A-08S is a very popular 45 amp and I can confirm it is very good sounding within the power range. For my Zu speakers, the EML 45 tubes give the most authoritative sound. This RC coupled amp uses a 717A as a pentode driver with the screen grids regulated to 123V with a string of zeners and 150V on the plate for 3mA cathode current.
Old 16th September 2020, 07:46 PM   #6
hariadi88 is offline hariadi88  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have Bottlehead Stereomour configured for 45. It sounds very nice.
I don't have any other 45 amp to compare to..
Old 18th September 2020, 03:39 PM   #7
neskor is offline neskor  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke58 View Post
I like the Tubelab TSE-II with 45 output tubes.
I second that
  Reply to this post

What's your favorite circuit for the 45?Hide this!Advertise here!