• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

V4lve lover's free Gerbers thread

I designed a series regulator for negative voltages (NRS is a Dutch Abreviation for Negative grid voltage)

PCB can be used up to minus -250V at max 50-100mA, consult TIP50 SOA graphs to see how much current is allowable in your use case.

This is a series reg design, It uses the 6.3V normally used for heaters for a voltage doubler that gives 17V no load, this is used for a shunt regulated PSU that gives +10V reference, and -2.4V so TL082 opamps can be used.

R13 and C12 are critical. I need to simulate in spice for the value when i have time.

R18 sets the output voltage at 1K per volt. normally I would use a 2W 50PPM metal film type.

The pass stage is TIP50 with a MPSA42 driver.

Im trying a new build form factor, I'm using 10x40mm Aluminium bar stock to serve as an interface between PCB and Heatsink.

I have ordered ten boards to play with, can supply assembled and tested modules.

Cheers,
V4LVE.

Post scriptum: Im doing another batch of 6.3V LDO modules: Topic can be found here: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...d-tube-amp-upgrade.382265/page-2#post-7350338

Attachments

• Board Copper.png
    Board Copper.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 107
  • NRS REGULATOR R1 board no copper.png
    NRS REGULATOR R1 board no copper.png
    395.9 KB · Views: 104
  • NRS REGULATOR R1 GERBERS 5 bestellen.zip
    256.4 KB · Views: 48
  • NRS REGULATOR R1 Schematic.png
    NRS REGULATOR R1 Schematic.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
This was a little fun project, its a transistor RIAA, so sorry for posting it in the tube forum. Its the RIAA input section plus VAS from the Philips 22RH590 amplifier.

Attachments

• 20RH590 RIAA Gerbers.zip
    111 KB · Views: 39
  • Board.png
    Board.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Schematic.png
    Schematic.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Eagle files Zip.zip
    77 KB · Views: 36
BUG Power PP Amp, my design attached. Included:
  • PSU
  • GSU
  • Simple softstart
  • DC filament
  • amp, in normal and flipped mirror design

A project description with more infos in this board under my name. This was my best of all ever build project. So much fun and satisfaction not to speak about the sound…

Ps.:
Direct wire the 6E5P filament supply with twisted solid wire to the socket. Using the terminal blocks on the board will introduce hum. The GU50 sockets can be mounted on the board if you extend them over the board by about 30mm using posts (holes are on the PCB) and run wires direct down to the board. Don’t put the socket on the PCB directly the GU’s will become quite hot (~260-280 °C). With this, 400mA bias current and XLR balanced input you’ll have a low THD fantastic sounding amp!

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
  • amp.png
    amp.png
    30 KB · Views: 79
  • BugPowerAmp.pdf
    112.1 KB · Views: 85
  • gsu.png
    gsu.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 73
  • dcfilo1.png
    dcfilo1.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 74
  • psu.png
    psu.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 66
  • softstart.png
    softstart.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BUG Power PP Amp, my design attached. Included:
  • PSU
  • GSU
  • Simple softstart
  • DC filament
  • amp, in normal and flipped mirror design

A project description with more infos in this board under my name. This was my best of all ever build project. So much fun and satisfaction not to speak about the sound…

Ps.:
Direct wire the 6E5P filament supply with twisted solid ……

I have been looking for good GU-50 designs, and am very interested in your amplifier. Unfortunately the above post is missing some important information. Where is the project description located? No power supply schematic, or more importantly, no HV value on the main schematic. It would be great if you could fill in the gaps.

May I suggest that you move this to your own tread (with administrators help). I think it deserves a thread of its own.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here’s my re-incarceration of the Lighthouse Electric Sta 1 pre-amp, which has a ton control!
Two versions, mirrored and normal, so, one can decide on which side of the board to stick the tubes.
I also made two versions, one at a bigger size to fit perfectly BRZHIFI BZ2204 series Aluminium case com Aliexpress.

Attachments

• STA1 Pre-Amp.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 63
  • Sta1_size.png
    Sta1_size.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Sta1.png
    Sta1.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Sta_PWR.png
    Sta_PWR.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 96
  • sta_mirr.png
    sta_mirr.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Archive.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • Lighthouse Sta w tone control.png
    Lighthouse Sta w tone control.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 112
I have been looking for good GU-50 designs, and am very interested in your amplifier. Unfortunately the above post is missing some important information. Where is the project description located? No power supply schematic, or more importantly, no HV value on the main schematic. It would be great if you could fill in the gaps.

May I suggest that you move this to your own tread (with administrators help). I think it deserves a thread of its own.
Your’re welcome…
Here’s the dedicated thread about this adventure. Should have all you need. Not an easy one, but very rewarding.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/building-a-pp.382845/

Reactions: 1 user
This is a board for an extremely compact maida style regulator. In short the EXCmaida R1
Hello, i like this design and ordered some boards. When i start to populate the boards, have some troubles. I read the post #130 and adjust pot R6 and R5. Set the R1 and then realize that R3 is also not mentioned in schematic. Is that resistor defining the curent, and what Iout can squeeze from board :) ?

Today also comes phase inverter boards for ECC82, they look very promising. This is very helpful thread for beginners like me :)

Hmm i got fake BUZ80 :) Fireworks happens. will replace with IRF740 or similar for test, also will try LM350 /that i have in stash/. I have one board with 2x PCL86 SE, and need to try to use this circuit to power it. The curent demand is maybe 100mA at 260v for stereo amp. Can i use this board to power the EL84 PP from this tread, ofc 2 boards - one for left and one for right chanell ?

I got 260-320V with standard components, trimmer is 20K in this example

If i change BUZ80 for IXYS IXTOP08N100P enhancement mode mosfet, could i change just R2, ( R3 ) , R4 ?

Would use regulator for voltages 285-300 Vdc at 40 mA to 60 mA.

Additionally when using transformer without CT do i connect secondaries just to AC1 & AC2 ?

Thanks, Krca

Attachments

• IXYS IXTOP08N100P Enhancement Mode Mosfet.pdf
    264.7 KB · Views: 31