• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cattle and tube amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks.
In Spanish it´s "Válvula de barrido horizontal" , where barrido (as with a broom) means exactly same as sweep or balayage.

My point being that meaning/concept is preserved between Western European languages.

Would love to hear about Slavic languages, and of course in the Far East it´s a completely new game.

It amazes me how other cultures manage to communicate without misinterpreting and misunderstanding, especially Chinese as the symbols and words are so nuanced and in speech the same sounding word can have numerous different meanings depending on how each syllable is pronounced.

Still, written English can be easily misinterpreted as anyone who has searched Ebay for power transformer will know when they get lots of listings for plastic toys or searched for certain makes of test gear. Search for HP and you get lots of PC's and printers and search for Feedback ( a UK maker of nice vintage function generators etc) and you get offers of positive FB for your Ebay account.

Andy.

It amazes me how other cultures manage to communicate without misinterpreting and misunderstanding, especially Chinese as the symbols and words are so nuanced and in speech the same sounding word can have numerous different meanings depending on how each syllable is pronounced.

Still, written English can be easily misinterpreted as anyone who has searched Ebay for power transformer will know when they get lots of listings for plastic toys or searched for certain makes of test gear. Search for HP and you get lots of PC's and printers and search for Feedback ( a UK maker of nice vintage function generators etc) and you get offers of positive FB for your Ebay account.

Andy.

I have one here, and somewhere around is the frequency counter - and full schematic circuit diagrams for then m both!

Attachments

• 20200805_083821_resize_25.jpg
    20200805_083821_resize_25.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 111
Here, there's no meaning to use the expression "that's Greek to me":D Instead we say "it's Chinese"...

We say "μετασχηματιστής" (metashimatistis) = transformer literally.
We use the term "λάμπες" (lampes) for tubes but we we also have the formal term "λυχνίες" (lihnies). So we say "λυχνίες οριζόντιας σάρωσης". Sarosi is the formal word for sweep. We never use the casual "σκούπισμα" (skoupisma) with tubes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
O la vache! I am grateful to Hellbender for starting this thread. So many translations about tubes from Chinese to English end up with gall bladders and bile. :eye: I've asked around but never gotten an answer. Now we know.

C'est chouette! Vachement chouette. :p

I guess Chinese have a right to be puzzled by our own mess when we say phrases such as:

"2N3055 was the workhorse of the Industry for decades"

"crispy sound"

"creamy smooth frequency response"
How-to-Make-Whipped-Cream-SpendWithPennies-4.jpg

or even WORSE:
Cream_Clapton_Bruce_Baker_1960s.jpg

although some mention "the liquid creamy sustain of Eric Clapton´s guitar" :eek:

"chest thumping bass"
silverback_gorilla_beating_chest_card-r6e3ab4fc45bd4ce5bb02d33a0ae82d48_tcvcu_540.jpg

and so on.

I´d LOVE to know how they translate to Chinese through, say, google translate.

Don't forget about the amp that also freshens the air....

•Specially design regulator power supply, the voice is very stable.The timbre is exquisite, especially it can reflect the rich details when listen to the voices. When playing string can show pine fragrance of the violin incisively and vividly. Treble clear, transparent not harsh, bass flexible, powerful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.