• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

simple, single-ended project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am hoping over the course of this summer to try my hand at some diy tube designs, and was hoping for any recommendations on a good schematic.

i'd rather do it all myself than buy a kit, i'd much prefer a single-ended design as i run very efficient speakers; and due to economy and personal beliefs on such matters i'd prefer the lowest part count in the cirucuit as possible.

and as this will be my first foray into valve diy, the less expensive the better.

any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

jesse

Two ECL82/6BM8´s, two Hammond 125ESE, a suitable power transformer and choke and a bunch of caps & resistor.
Put it on a piece of sheet metal with a wooden frame and you´re done!

I´ve built two such amps, one with extremly small OPT´s and one with slightly bigger ones (both types are much smaller than 125ESE´s) and I can highly recommend it as a first time project.
Low voltages (just above 200V), cheap and easy-to-find parts,
very simple design and very good sound!!

A perfect amp if you want to experimet with triode/pentode connection and different feedback ratios.
I run mine as triodes and it sounds fine, a bit too fine when I compare to my 6B4G SET and consider the price difference...:D

Fuling,

sounds simple enough, however- as i'm not used to working with valves at all- i really rather need (or at least would feel much more comfortable/confident with) an actual schematic for something like that. glad to have the exact # for the transformer though. if there's any way you could post or email me a circuit diagram for that it would be fantastic. thanks.

jesse

jesserparker said:
due to economy and personal beliefs on such matters i'd prefer the lowest part count in the cirucuit as possible.

You may find this article very helpful.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31858&highlight=white

I did follow it and constructed a SE amp using 6au6 & el84...and very happy with the sound(especially good bass), actually I am listening to it now. .

It doesn't show power supply portion, I used chip LM317T to have both HT and heater regulated, the amp is super quite.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.