• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12P17L or 2P29L In Pentode As Output Tubes In Amp?

I've seen posts about the 12P17L, which is basically an indirectly heated version of the 4P1L. But they all seem to be using them in preamps wired in triode. My interest in these is, in part, because, being indirectly heated, they presumably don't have the issues with microphonics which the 4P1L has and could be heated with AC.

Anyone try them in pentode as output tubes in an amp? Yes, I know they will be less linear.

I'm considering either a breadboard experiment or maybe dropping them into a vintage console amp chassis. This is mostly out of curiosity so simple, cheap and junkbox parts are the order of the day.

I saw one post by Wavebourn in which he mentions a vintage farm radio that put out 10w using PP 12P17L. In PP, what OPT primary impedance would be best and how much drive would be needed in order to get 8-10w per channel? And what operating points?

I've also seen some discussion about the 2P29L, which is a directly heated pentode but, again, only used in triode for preamp duty. I did try the 2P29L last year when I was breadboarding preamps and it sounded very good. Part of its appeal is that, despite being directly heated, it seems to be immune from microphonics.

Anyone try them in pentode as output tubes, either SE or PP? How much power output could I expect? Again, what OPT primary would be suitable and what operating points?

I thought that surely someone on here would be able to offer some advice about using these as output tubes in pentode, particularly the load and drive requirements.

Presumably, at least in the case of the 12P17L, that is what they were designed to do. @Wavebourn commented on their use in a Soviet radio.

So, what is the result of your breadboard experiment?
Thanks for the response . . .

For now, my breadboard setup has been dismantled so I have not done anything with either of these tubes as pentode outputs.

I'm interested in trying them, though, particularly the 12P17L in PP. Trying to figure out if I have any suitable OTs in the junkbox. And what their drive requirements would be.

If you mean the 2P29L preamp. Here's a thread I posted about it last year. You made some comments about the history of these tubes, as I recall.

2P29L Preamp

Here's the data sheet for the 12P17L. Unless I'm missing it, it doesn't seem to include any info on a suitable OT load.

I assume it was not intended to be used as an audio output tube. Perhaps that info can be extrapolated from the data sheet?

Again, I'm most interested in using it in PP. Trying to figure out if I have any suitable OTs and what driver tube(s) might work.

Attachments

• 12P17L Data.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 129
I'm giving this thread a bump since I didn't get any informative replies previously.

I know the 4P1L is quite popular wired as a triode and is typically used in PSE (parallel single-ended) configurations using OTs with ~3k primaries. The 12P17L seems to be very similar, other than being indirectly heated. So I assume the answers would apply to both tubes.

So, two questions:

What primary would be suitable for PP with tubes wired as pentodes?

What primary would be suitable for PP with tubes wired as triodes?

Here's the data sheet for the 4P1L, which is the third tube listed. It seems that footnotes 1, 2 and 3 apply and that in Class A1 (a single tube in, I assume, pentode) the tube produces 1.5w with a 6k load and 2.6w with a 7k load. But there's no info on PP operation.

The data sheet for the 12P17L doesn't seem to list any info at all regarding proper loads or power output.

Attachments

• 4P1L Data.jpg
    4P1L Data.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 186
I'm very late to this thread but, I am desperately seeking 12P17L audio tubes. My preamp uses them and the manufacturer has gone out of business. The preamp manufacture date was 2011 and I purchased in 2012. Needs retubing and without doing some major remodeling, I don't think any other tube would be accommodated in the circuitry. Besides, when new they sounded great. If possible, I would prefer not resorting to eBay......