• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ordering from Justradios.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...why was almost every speaker made ...back in the Day 4 ohm....

It's cheap. Fewer turns. Enough Ohms that the part-Ohm of the lead-in wires does not matter. That's good when speaker is in the same box as the amplifier (very short wires).

The alternate was 15 Ohms for when wires had to run across a large room. Less line loss.

In smaller US talking-movie theaters the next step was two 15r in series for a 30 Ohm load which gives low line loss across medium large movie theaters.

8 ohms used to be the odd duck. But that happened to be a good V/I ratio for the early transistors.

You can run ANY impedance the system is designed for. There are compromises when you get way out. The speaker lead-in tinsels are say 0.4 Ohms. If you wind a 2-Ohm voice coil then 17% of your precious power is wasted in the lead-ins. (However today there ARE 2-Ohm car woofers, the good ones use an extra-heavy lead-in tinsel.) Up around 600 Ohms the coil winding wire wants to be thinner than the enamel insulation, so you use thin enamel, but moisture gets through, rots the thin copper, speakers don't last forever.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I would need some convincing Astouffer .

FLAC - Wikipedia

"FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is an audio coding format for lossless compression of digital audio,
"The compressed files are always perfect, lossless representations of the original data."

If you follow the math, you can verify that output==input.

You may still "hear a difference"; this is always an option.

Look Fjellreven its a pretty upmarket circuit ---for its day as a table radio but it is not comparable to the 1970/1980,s dedicated tuner/amplifiers which could reach 15Khz .

Its down to circuit design of the time , its very good as a table radio .

In the Huldra 8 you will notice they redesigned the FM tuner .
Actually the Huldra 5 would be a better choice .

Look Fjellreven its a pretty upmarket circuit ---for its day as a table radio but it is not comparable to the 1970/1980,s dedicated tuner/amplifiers which could reach 15Khz .

Its down to circuit design of the time , its very good as a table radio .

In the Huldra 8 you will notice they redesigned the FM tuner .
Actually the Huldra 5 would be a better choice .

Yeah i own the huldra 8 im a little bit dissapointed the huldra 7 cant keep up but oh well i guess the transistor radios tandberg made were better then their tube radios. The huldra 8 sounds Great with some 70s seas speakers like the hifi kit 30.

Also great as tabletop radio with speakers that sucks and only 5 khz on the tape input. Yeah and im serious those goodmans speakers are terrible. The regular old tandberg type 165 could beat them easily.

Opps i meant seas hifi 30

Attachments

• 203342-a2704151bfc08da9a56226f0fd490949.jpg
    203342-a2704151bfc08da9a56226f0fd490949.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 78
Even the Huldra 5,s own graph shows at 9 khz its -30db down .

Most of Goodmans UK loudspeaker output was in low grade loudspeakers in table radios in the UK with small voice coil magnets they were never made for hi-fi .

Even Goodmans "hi-fi " range were for those who couldn't afford something better but in the ,50,s they made some passable loudspeakers for industry ,they also made hi-fi loudspeakers in the ,70,s but be aware they were never near the top end in audio reviewers eyes.

Having said that I have a pair of Goodmans Magnum -K2 -M-range late ,50.s/early ,60,s loudspeakers the 12" driver and the mid and tweeter seem to be very collectable .

Even the Huldra 5,s own graph shows at 9 khz its -30db down .

Most of Goodmans UK loudspeaker output was in low grade loudspeakers in table radios in the UK with small voice coil magnets they were never made for hi-fi .

Even Goodmans "hi-fi " range were for those who couldn't afford something better but in the ,50,s they made some passable loudspeakers for industry ,they also made hi-fi loudspeakers in the ,70,s but be aware they were never near the top end in audio reviewers eyes.

Having said that I have a pair of Goodmans Magnum -K2 -M-range late ,50.s/early ,60,s loudspeakers the 12" driver and the mid and tweeter seem to be very collectable .

Yeah i own a tandberg hifi system 11 with a 5 inch goodmans speaker and a 2 inch tandberg tweeter i think its sounds awesome much better then the 5x8 goodmans in the sølvsuper 8.

Last edited:
duncan2

ts obvious you haven't worked in the electrical engineering industry N1012N---I have and changed plenty of them but as you don't believe me will you take the word of one of the highest respected websites in the land on this subject for the reference of guys with strings of letters after their names ??

Dielectric thickness is directly related to physical size and inversely related to leakage current and capacitance. So I am not worried. Its sonic profile may or may not be pleasing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.