• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ordering from Justradios.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pretty much any modern cap is going to be superior to what is being replaced. I guarantee that in a 50 year old radio you won’t hear a difference between a 10 cent cap versus a $10 cap. Buy 105c rated electrolytics and poly film caps for the rest. All the old low value pF caps should be fine. Replace the caps and enjoy the radio.

Pretty much any modern cap is going to be superior to what is being replaced. I guarantee that in a 50 year old radio you won’t hear a difference between a 10 cent cap versus a $10 cap. Buy 105c rated electrolytics and poly film caps for the rest. All the old low value pF caps should be fine. Replace the caps and enjoy the radio.

What if its a more high end Model like huldra 7 connected to a decent sound card playing a flac file

I have a seperate question why was almost every speaker made in norway back in the Day 4 ohm,for example the tandberg type 165 that was used in several tube radio's. I know its possible to make a 4 ohm tube radio, but when i search online everyone said you should use a speaker with No less then 8 ohms and the higher the impedance the better. i know that impedance changes depending on the frequency its Just that i was hoping to use some old 4 ohm 3 to 10 watt speakers with the tube radio's. I am aware i should use highly sensitive speakers though.

The old original standard was 3 ohms and 15 ohms with some variation .

The old radios I have worked on were all lower than 8 ohms which is a comparatively "modern " impedance compared to very old radios and amplifiers .

Look Fjellreven only one thing counts the OUTPUT impedance of the output transformer not "what some guy told you " they obviously are referring to modern era amplifiers not old tube radios .

Even if it is 4 ohms a 3 ohm speaker will still work with it .
Why ? because the audio frequency is severely restricted in an AM radio and a lower end FM radio of that era will not allow full FM audio reproduction it will be able to receive the FM but it wont be "hi-fi " reproduction .

Later tuners were an improvement , remember its also got to do with the ability to demodulate the signal down to good quality reproduction in a cheap end old radio that's never going to happen.

Dude, this is a 1963 table radio... The speakers and electronics will be designed to reproduce the vocal range and not much else.

What if i connect it to something like this

Tandberg høyttaler Hi-Fi System 3

Im sorry but you are wrong if you were right then why did tandberg made hifi speakers that went into the 16khz range and remember this many tandberg product had seas parts for example the sølvsuper 7 deluxe had two seas tweeters that went into the 20khz range.

The old original standard was 3 ohms and 15 ohms with some variation .

The old radios I have worked on were all lower than 8 ohms which is a comparatively "modern " impedance compared to very old radios and amplifiers .

Look Fjellreven only one thing counts the OUTPUT impedance of the output transformer not "what some guy told you " they obviously are referring to modern era amplifiers not old tube radios .

Even if it is 4 ohms a 3 ohm speaker will still work with it .
Why ? because the audio frequency is severely restricted in an AM radio and a lower end FM radio of that era will not allow full FM audio reproduction it will be able to receive the FM but it wont be "hi-fi " reproduction .

Later tuners were an improvement , remember its also got to do with the ability to demodulate the signal down to good quality reproduction in a cheap end old radio that's never going to happen.

Yeah but i am not taking about lower end, i am talking about huldra 6 and 7. and remember this speakers were optional on both models. Second of all while im currently restoring the sølvsuper 8 its a start. later im going to restore the huldra radios.

Those are still speakers designed for AM radios in the 60s. An appreciation for vintage tube radios does not mean you are required to consider them some kind of high fidelity device. The 6.5" full range driver in the Hifi System 3 would be better than the tiny speakers in a table radio, but still not all that great. 60-16000 sure, maybe +/-20dB ;)

Why not get something like a TR-2080 and some newer Seas speakers?

Those are still speakers designed for AM radios in the 60s. An appreciation for vintage tube radios does not mean you are required to consider them some kind of high fidelity device. The 6.5" full range driver in the Hifi System 3 would be better than the tiny speakers in a table radio, but still not all that great. 60-16000 sure, maybe +/-20dB ;)

You moron the speaker is 8 inches second of all that speaker was made in the 50s you dont know Jack **** about tandberg do you

Fjellreven what you are doing has a saying in Britain - you keep on "shifting the goal posts " ,in other words your first post was on the super 8 which I thought you were talking about all along .

How would I know you don't want to talk about that model but a different more expensive model ?

While its okay to ask questions you have to be consistent as I have an "engineering brain " I deal with one subject at a time if we are no longer going to mention the super 8 then okay but that is what your thread is all about .

This isn't a matter of adding hi-fi speakers and getting hi-fi out that wont work the whole circuit of the radio its attached to is the arbiter of how it will sound.

We have tried to help you Fjellreven there is no need to call Audiowize a bad name even if you feel that way it puts people off helping you.

Last edited:
Fjellreven what you are doing has a saying in Britain - you keep on "shifting the goal posts " ,in other words your first post was on the super 8 which I thought you were talking about all along .

How would I know you don't want to talk about that model but a different more expensive model ?

While its okay to ask questions you have to be consistent as I have an "engineering brain " I deal with one subject at a time if we are no longer going to mention the super 8 then okay but that is what your thread is all about .

This isn't a matter of adding hi-fi speakers and getting hi-fi out that wont work the whole circuit of the radio its attached to is the arbiter of how it will sound.

We have tried to help you Fjellreven there is no need to call Audiowize a bad name even if you feel that way it puts people off helping you.

Ok fine sorry audiowize lets ignore this hifi stuff and talk about that later.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 65

I know that its Just that several Norwegians have said that replacing the crappy goodmans speaker on huldra 7 or connecting a hifi speakers have greatly improved the sound this is because the original goodmans speakers arent that great and compared to seas fullrangers or Phillips fullrangers sound terrible

Utgangseffekt, Huldra 7 | Hifisentralen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.