Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Ordering from Justradios.com
Ordering from Justradios.com
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2020, 08:34 PM   #31
duncan2 is offline duncan2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaCharlie View Post
Good for what application? For some things they will work fine, for others, not.

You keep asking about parts but you refuse to answer any questions about what you want to use them in. You seem to be working on a couple of "radios" but refuse to offer any other basic information, such as what type of rectifier is being used, the values of the parts you're replacing or where in the circuit you want to use them.

It's hard to offer useful information when someone is so uncooperative. Good luck with your "radios".

As somebody who has worked on radios since the late ,50,s -silver mica means one thing to me ---the RF stages of all types of radios from portables to communication receivers so I agree with you .
Old 25th June 2020, 09:23 PM   #32
Fjellreven is offline Fjellreven
diyAudio Member

I was asking if the Silver mica capacitors were of good quality im going to replace those old round capacitors you know black small Round and this is the schematic. And second of all is that i didnt ask about what you can use mica capacitors for im asking if those Silver mica capacitors are of good quality. You see those Silver mica capacitors are made by Indian ruby muscovite a manufacturer that i know nothing about.and the 8uf film capacitor was for a radio i sadly dont have a schematic for a standard Pan 358a which i though was a imported radiobell 358a.but the values were a Little different so instead of a 8 uf 500v its 16uf 450v.and also sadly i dont have the schematics for most of my radios.
Old 25th June 2020, 09:32 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Opps well hers a link to the schematic im primarily working on sølvsuper 8.

Index of /tandberg
Old 25th June 2020, 10:00 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Sorry Fjellreven , that link has a self signed safety certificate which is not normal .it might be okay but I was warned not to advance to it.

Its probably to save money but I don't take chances .

I have most of the circuit diagrams for radios sold in the UK for 1950 onward s and some pre 1950 but there is not much in the way of Pam.

Thank goodness I kept my collection of --Radio & Television Servicing yearly hardbacks which contain multitudes of radio circuits including bakelite Echo TV,s as entrepreneurs are now charging people for those diagrams.

Tell me the rectifier valve number and I can tell you if its okay to use the 16uf in the reservoir position.

The modern dipped variety of silver mica are reliable BUT it depends where you buy them.
Old 25th June 2020, 10:31 PM   #35
N101N is offline N101N
diyAudio Member

It's better to avoid silver mica capacitors along with ceramic capacitors of any brand if you are choosey, except perhaps in the antenna amplifier circuit. Use film capacitors (polystyrene, teflon, polypropylene, polycarbonate).
Old 25th June 2020, 10:41 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

I recognised those old round silver mica capacitors N101N used in old radios I do agree with your choice for audio especially the polystyrene .

Used to buy them for 5p (UK money ) = one shilling old money now they start at nearly £1 (UK )= just over one $.

I knew it was going to happen so stripped them out of unrepairable radios and early Tektronix scopes .

I think its radios he is working on.
Old 25th June 2020, 11:44 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Im not picky its Just that i want something that works a while i dont want use silver mica capacitors in the rf stage Just to be as reliable as the original capacitors, and also too bad you cant open the link it has every tandberg schematic that exist. And also by small Round black capacitors i meant these. From what i have heard these small black capacitors are unreliable. Also what is the name of these small black capacitors. The reason i wanted to replace them with mica capacitors is that i have heard they are more reliable and they are the same values you know for example 600pf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200625_234238.jpg (539.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200625_234419.jpg (847.4 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200625_234421.jpg (902.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 26th June 2020, 12:23 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

I recognise the ceramic semi variable capacitors your circuit looks 1960,s .
Your right those tubular black capacitors weren't meant to last a lifetime I think they were Mylar capacitors usually used in interconnection of tubes in early stages ( IF etc ) of radios --

Just for you here they are ( second down )-

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration - Capacitors

Even give you their recommended replacements --scroll down .
Old 26th June 2020, 12:31 AM   #39
Dale Saukerson is offline Dale Saukerson
diyAudio Member

I hope you are not attempting to stock a single type of cap to replace all non electrolytic caps in antique radios. This is bad practice. So is wholesale recapping. Ordinary modern film caps be they tubular or gumdrop will suffice to replace paper caps in electronic radios but for the various non paper types you need an understanding of why that type of cap was used to begin with and when/if they should be replaced. No disrespect intended to any individual here but for antique radio work you should take advantage of the body of knowledge available at another fantastic site, the antique radio forum at Antique Radios - The Collector's Resource
Old 26th June 2020, 01:53 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

What do you mean by wholesale recapping?

Ordering from Justradios.comHide this!Advertise here!