• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ordering from Justradios.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and here is the rest of the schematic sorry i cant post the pdf but this website is really outdated it can only post pdf files with a max size of 1,91MB.

Attachments

• Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 70
In that case they must be early diode rectifiers not selenium what shape and material is it made out of ?

The combined capacitor is bad news I had to replace every one due to leakage between them.

The tubes are standard British type B9A based I have them all in my spares box usually quite reliable

Last edited:
Thanks TG---If it is it is recommended that a surge protection resistor be fitted --not my words but the original manufacturers of selenium rectifiers backed up by electronic hardware engineers of the time.

If you check up that type needs a current limiter as without it its normal working life is shortened and/or efficiency is affected .

That would then mean you should not go much above the recommended reservoir / smoothing capacitor value.

I couldn't find that rectifier in my equivalents book.

Yes under £4 sterling I don't speak Norwegian but the words have some German origin in them and I know a few German words as I watch German TV on satellite .

Those capacitors are cheap because they are meant for Electric motors so they are made out of very cheap packing grade polypropylene might be okay for a tube radio but NOT okay for anything hi-fi.

Thats better Fjellreven , notice its a smaller capacitance but dearer does that not tell you something ?

N101N it aint "hard to be sure " electric motor capacitors were never designed for hi-fi .

Maplin electronics --now dissolved sold them - cheap as chips I bought several in the ,80,s opened one up cheap internals .

Look JLH in a long article in EW around the early ,80,s on passive components said the same .
Sadly John is no longer with us but D.Self is --ask HIM if he would fit and use those motor capacitors in his cutting edge designs .

They generate distortion, can leak due to their thinness , tell me what pukka audio design engineer has fitted them to their designs ?

I havent come across any it would be embarrassing to do so unless it was just a test to -see if it works .

Dig out your $100000 spectrum analyzer run a minus 100db or more pure RMS 20Khz test signal through one of those capacitors and into the spectrum analyzer take a long hard look at the peaks and you wont question me again about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.