• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yet another 4P1L PSE amp - review request

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It depends if you connect each 4P1L in series or in parallel. Since your input is 4,2v I'm assuming series. So current is 325mA plus 325mA = 650mA. Could vary a little around that from my experience. Series connection is pins 1 and 7.

Attachments

• 4P1L connect-ser. PSE.png
    4P1L connect-ser. PSE.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 263
I'm not sure what you are doing here. Each pair of tubes has its own filament supply, 2 supplies? That's necessary. So each tube connected in series, then 2 tubes paralleled together?

Do you have a few more 4P1L to test? Test them individually for filament specifications. I usually match the voltage and current in a pair of tubes.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to break the parallel links, and measure each tube to check they're vaguely close.

They cant be very close, given the difference you're seeing.

Are you sure you havent over-voltaged the filament?

During testing or accidental over zealous adjustment of the PSU?

I say this as I have done it with the smaller 1J29B/1J24B (I forget which), when changing between series and parallel heater connections

After that, the the operated almost as well as before...less gain, but, still usable.

I guess I aged the filament pretty well!

Please use multiple parallel wirewound resistors for filament bias. Parallel multiples are able to reduce the effect of bad-quality end-cap mounting in ordinary wirewound resistors.

current production recommended types:

Welwyn W24 (good, but end-caps are steel)
Ohmite AG10 (non-magnetic, probably best value)
Mills MRA10 (non-inductive)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.