• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is it a broadcast inductor or a constant type.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two Freed inductors sold in this case as Hazeltine. It has the number FR1120 for Hazeltine and 2237112 for Freed on the 2 chokes rated at 2 Henrys, measuring 10 Ohms each, and looks like they have been "Tropicalized" in military terms, sprayed with an opaque protectant all over. I also have a Paeco 712-1 rated at 36 mH and measures .3 Ohms, and is open framed and NOT tropicalized. I'd like to use them in audio. Good idea or bad idea? Thanks in advance for your consideration! buffstereo1/aka Robert

To Eli Duttman re: Transformers broadcast of Constant

I searched your posts and found Klipshe posts but not transformers, and joined AA but missed any use or text communication page.
The Hazeltines made by Freed are 2 Amps each. 2.177 and 2.229 Henrys, and both are 9.98 Ohms. I thought filament filters were helped by that hash suppression. The Paeco 712-1 with what I figure is a date stamp of 1126, .3Ohms, 36 mH, perhaps useful in filament hash suppression, hopefully at 3 Amps and 18 Volts.
I also have a 2 Westinghouse 40 Henry Chokes at 2.70 Amps, 300 Ohms Max(?) at 1400 Feet with a frequency of 120 CPS+/- 5%. Term 1 = 2800 Volts WKG and Term 2 4800 Volts WKG. Max altitude 10,000 Ft. B+ filter or Power tube Plate Chokes. Conformal Coating too, like the Freeds, and strong mounting Frames for these donut like copper wire. The 2 Westinghouse chokes weigh 16 lbs each, Freeds weigh 23 lbs each, and the Paeco 712-1 weigh 18.5 lbs, but no conformal coating, and standard industrial frame w/no end covers. no endcovers on all 5 chokes. I appreciate your support and courtesy. Robert

Transister Cap Multiplier

Thank you for your considered opinion, and sharing your valuable experience. I mean that.
I'm just an old 'stick in the mud' as far as tube amps go. Id like to keep transistors out of my gear. I do use bridge diodes for filaments, but would rather not elsewhere. My gear may never sound as good as yours, but that's this old man's path. I do like Class A mosfet amps from the Nelson Pass approach I will admit to owning a Threshold 200 Watt Class A Amp, with pleasure. Constant current modules, or mosfets in tube amps aren't what I want to use, but 30 years ago I owned a hybrid with 6dJ8 inputs and mosfets put. Then I heard a KT88 amp...

SS makes the benefits of constant current loading easy, but it can be done all "hollow state". For instance, symmetry forcing CCS tail loads are frequently suggested for the LTP's of Mullard style amps. The tube version of a CCS will employ a 6AU6 whose screen grid is DC grounded and whose cathode is associated with a reasonably "tall" negative rail. True pentode operation requires g2 to be at the same AC potential as the cathode and that's taken care of by cap. bypassing the current setting resistances. The 6AU6's g1 goes to B-, along with the current setting resistances and their bypass capacitor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.