• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

211 VT-4C Good Simple SE Schematic

Simple 211

About the least complex 211 I've seen is the design on PAE's site:

PAE 6C45 --> 211 amplifier

I built a version (with a very different power supply design) with a more modest B+ (825vdc) that I've been enjoying.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Use RF precautions around the 6C45 (grid stoppers, RF beads).

- Gary

My website....

Hi
Thank you very much.
I see U use inter stage transformer. I would like to avoid to use one.
There are many design with 2 stage with out inter stage transformer. Some people say the D3a would be the best choice.

Many of these tubes have a plate resistance
about 2Kohm but only the D3A and 6C45
have an amplification factor greater than 50

D3A specifications in triode connection
:

filament voltage: 6.3V
filament current: 315mA

Max plate voltage: 200v
Max plate dissipation: 4.2w
Max cathode current: 33mA
Plate resistance: 1.9Kohm
Amplification factor: : 77
Max resistance in grid circuit: 0.5Mohm

6C45 specifications:
filament voltage: 6.3V
filament current: 440mA

Max plate voltage: 150v <<<<< it is lower than D3a
Max plate dissipation: 7.8w
Max cathode current: 52mA
Plate resistance: 1.2Kohm
Amplification factor: 52 ±16 <<<<< selection is necessary
Max resistance in grid circuit: 0.15Mohm

Inter electrode capacitance:
input: 11±2 pF
output: 1.9±0.3 pF
transfer: 4.5pF

Greetings

Attachments

• tubes4.jpg
    tubes4.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,934
Hi!

Well I wrote that it is in my opinion a poor choice. Depends on which compromise you want to make. What the D3A and all the other tubes which you mentioned lack is headroom.

While the D3A would be the better choice I still prefer more headroom.

It's all about the choice you make. Sure it will work, might even suit your taste.

The D3A is a great tube, just not for this application IMHO

Thomas

The circuit in the goliath is a so called µ-follower. Short version: The 27/56 "makes" the sound and the D3A's purpose is to give 27/56 a good environment considering output resistance and loadline.

Driving a 845/GM70 isn't as easy as driving a 6L6. I don't want this to get too long, but to sum it up: The Signal Voltage to drive the 845 is very high, as calculated above. The 845 is in A1 operation which means we don't have to deal with positive grid voltage and grid current, but it has a large Grid-Anode capacity. Furthermore an ugly thing called Miller Effect multiplies this capacity by (µ+1)≈7. So the driver still has to deliver some current to charge that capacity each half cycle.

How to deal with that in practice ?
There are two and one stage designs. Two stage design uses a standard small signal tube at first. The second stage doesn't have to amplify very much, but must be able to swing large signals and deliver some current. 300B, EL34, 6L6 is often used here. Some designs avoid to use large tubes in the second stage and use SRPP. Using two small signal tubes on top of the other, you can give them double times their max. anode voltage. interestingly the SRPP principle has been used exactly for that purpose - delivering high voltage amplitudes to fixed loads. Problem is that the 845 isn't a constant load, since the resistance is depending on the frequency. That's the flaw with that design.
Single stage designs must obviously use high-µ valves. Moreover they must also be able to swing large volatges. Many high-µ pentodes (or triodes/pseudotriodes) have a max-Ua of only 200V. There are a few exceptions like the EL802 which can withstand 300V. Yves built an amplifier with it: Preliminary 845 SET
Another option is to use High-voltage-TV-switch-shunt-triodes. They have enormous high µ and gm. These aren't sweep tubes nor high voltage shunt regulation tubes. It's a kind of hybrid but very well suited as a driver. They require at least the Ub of the 845/GM70 ! Just look at Thoma's amplifier.

Hello

I just retract my bid at the Ebay on the D3a tube! Thank you very much for the warning.
Al do I have several schematic based on two stage design!
Here is one design by Andrea Ciuffoli
845 Amplifier with only two stages
Only problem the 100H choke have to be special low resistance.
I attach other two stage design at the next post, but I'll go with 3 stage now!
For these circuit 6SN7 & 6J5 I ordered the tubes and sockets.
I try to build these, all do these need at least 3 or 4 power transformer:rolleyes:
I will attach at the next post some 2 stage working design!
Thanks one more time
Greetings gabor

Attachments

• 6SN7+GM70_(Lyrebird).gif
    6SN7+GM70_(Lyrebird).gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 2,079
  • index_php3.jpeg
    index_php3.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,784
Last edited:
Hello

Here are some 2 stage design
The third schematic here!
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/pdf/6E5P_Swedish.pdf
One of the derived by D3A tube at the attachment.
These is another design
Nicholas' GM70 SE Amp There are more schematic but I do not want to dump all those here....
Any way I try first the 3 stage with 6SN7 & 6J5 tubes. Only problem I have with that design the low plate voltage.
I would like to go with 900V on the plate and a bit less bias.
In case if these design does not work out for me I do not want to buy another power transformer.:eek:

Greetings gabor

Attachments

• caf2kfbl.jpg
    caf2kfbl.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,861
  • GM70_Amp_r.jpg
    GM70_Amp_r.jpg
    918.1 KB · Views: 2,042
211 single ended power amp circuit and parts list

Hello
Can someone let me know if I can replace the 211 tube with GM70 type?
I know I can replace 845 with GM70 if I adjust the heater voltage. GM70 use 20V for filament.
I have a nice 211 schematic "Goliath" but I want to use GM70 power tubes.
Greetings gabor
Dear Gaborbela,

I would love The Schematic Circuit of The 211 With The Input Tube and The Driver Tube, Could you please send a Copy to me My: e mail is: fsj@iprimus.com.au

Rgds
Francis Jansz