• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Not your dads tube preamp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm thinking about a tube preamp. It has to be balanced, use the least amount of tubes and use solid state to support the tubes. I opted for 6SN7 in differential pair loaded with CCS. Second stage is a buffer with an emitter follower, loaded with CCS too.
Split CCS for diff pair should help hold both tubes in reins when they mature. Outpu buffer is good with 10k//10nF at around 3Vrms. Any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• 92497215_499882134012719_3549727883880562688_n.png
    92497215_499882134012719_3549727883880562688_n.png
    52 KB · Views: 488
It is a hybrid technically speaking, but in this circuit tube defines the character. Also, who needs EF86 in linestage. What to do with that much gain. Also my design is made to use the least tubes to achieve the result, since they are expensive and hard to get (especially NOS matched).

Unique, anyway.
My Dad never owned a preamp. AM radio, then later he advanced, a vacuum tube FM table radio. He thought the wood case was what made them sound good. Still have both the radios.
I own a preamp, but the PAS2 kit was built when I was 11. Bought it used in 1970. Always was a classic.

It is a hybrid technically speaking, but in this circuit tube defines the character. Also, who needs EF86 in linestage. What to do with that much gain. Also my design is made to use the least tubes to achieve the result, since they are expensive and hard to get (especially NOS matched).
How was anyone supposed to know it was line level. Line level doesn't need a pre amp.

There are hundreds of known good designs on the internet that would be useful as a base and modified to make you think it is your own design.
Without gain the noise level will increase.

Split CCS for diff pair should help hold both tubes in reins when they mature. Any feedback is appreciated!
If the -Vg of the diff pair are not equal there is a current trough the R7 making the currents in the pair different.
Better one CCS and a trimpot to balance the voltages on the anodes = equal current.
Finaly, i like sipmlifying :D
Mona

Attachments

• less.png
    less.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 324
@indianajo that looks like a great kit, shame those weren't avaiable in Europe.

The title "Not your dads preamp" is about using solid state in aid of the tubes, because well, then there weren't too much transistors ;)

@JonSnellElectronic
You're right, this topic should land in Line Level section of forum, my bad. Hopefully mods can move it.
I know, there is a lot of good proven tube topologies from common cathode - common anode, through mu-follower, SRPP and others. Right now I use Aikido with 12AU7 and 6922. My idea is to use tubes as the main active element that amplifies and influences the sound, when solid state devices are used to help it. Since good NOS tubes are getting more and more expensive, harder to get matched pairs I want my design to use the least amount of them and keep them alive for as long as possible. Thats what transistors do here.

@Ketje that was the first design actually. Both circuits are interchangable. Yes, the resistor reduces the amount of mismatch that the circuit will correct, but I think that increasing it to 1k can give reasonable option for correction. Especially that I don't care for gain since it is line level (DAC and phono, so I need some gain, but thats it). I'll be trying both in the actual prototype.

Small update

It's been a long time!

I changed the tube to contemporary and cheap ECC99 (recommended by a knowlegable friend). Buffer is using MOSFET as it greatly reduced distortion in sim. Each buffer has it's own voltage reference for nicer, cleaner layout. See attached:

Attachments

• sch.png
    sch.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 144
  • pcb.png
    pcb.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 146
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.