• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Problems with London City Bulldog / Ashton VP100 tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes it worked. That was the problem. Now a neat signal comes out and volume is also at the right level again. Hum has also disappeared.

Do I still have to think about how this resistor died? (Didn't look black)
Or was this just a bad luck?
With a 12AX7 in there the dissipation in the anode resistors is less then 100mW but with the 12AT7 it goes up to 400mW.If those resistors are ment for the AX they overheat with the AT.
Take 2W resistors for the two anode resistors.
Mona

Can you tell me how you calculated these values? These now indeed correspond with reality. I also try to calculate it but I can't. I may overlook something, but hopefully you can help me.
To find those voltages you have to draw a loadline.The load is what comes between the supply (444V) and ground for the tube.
Starting from ground there is R99, R98, R93, R94//R95 and R96.
4k7+10k+0k47+45k+4k7=~65k (I am lazy, like to round-off ;) )
The 45k is 100k//82k.
Since this load is used by the two triodes each sees 130k.
Now we go back to post#14 where you see the loadline 440V-130k and a line for where you get with a cathode resistance of 1k (also double R93).
The intersection of those two lines gives the working point, about Va=150V,Ia=2mA and Vg=-2V.
The current for most resistors is 4mA exept the anode resistors, one (100k) a bit less then 2mA the other (82k) a bit more.
Nowing the current it's easy to find the voltages now (thanks mr.Ohm).
There is a little error because R96 is also used by another circuit giving extra voltage drop, but who cares :D
Mona

To find those voltages you have to draw a loadline.The load is what comes between the supply (444V) and ground for the tube.
Starting from ground there is R99, R98, R93, R94//R95 and R96.
4k7+10k+0k47+45k+4k7=~65k (I am lazy, like to round-off ;) )
The 45k is 100k//82k.
Since this load is used by the two triodes each sees 130k.
Now we go back to post#14 where you see the loadline 440V-130k and a line for where you get with a cathode resistance of 1k (also double R93).
The intersection of those two lines gives the working point, about Va=150V,Ia=2mA and Vg=-2V.
The current for most resistors is 4mA exept the anode resistors, one (100k) a bit less then 2mA the other (82k) a bit more.
Nowing the current it's easy to find the voltages now (thanks mr.Ohm).
There is a little error because R96 is also used by another circuit giving extra voltage drop, but who cares :D
Mona

Thanks for the clear explanation. I can move forward with this! Top

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.