Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

6S41S Single-Ended Cathode Follower Amplifier
6S41S Single-Ended Cathode Follower Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2020, 08:35 AM   #11
niclaspa is offline niclaspa  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes, Lundahl's datasheet mentions that the frequency response is +/- 1 dB between 40 Hz and 25 kHz. That also is in line with my measured frequency response. This is a penalty to pay for using the interstage transformer connected this way. But, it does allow me to get away with only two stages and a power supply with fairly moderate tension. My speakers fall off quite rapidly below 40 Hz and I don't perceive the bass response as any poorer than with other amplifiers that I have tried. On the contrary, the bass reproduction is really good - deep and tight.

Arto, leaving the effect of the inductor aside, does the two methods of decoupling the cathode resistor have any impact on the frequency response?
Old 16th February 2020, 09:00 AM   #12
artosalo is offline artosalo  Finland
diyAudio Member

Those two methods work identically.
Old 16th February 2020, 06:12 PM   #13
Windcrest77 is offline Windcrest77  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, project posts are my favorite! Lots of ideas come to be remembered with this project... I like the use of aluminum channel for the sides, if one likes the look of wooden sides it would be possible to rip some wood to fit inside the channel and now have the benefit of a totally shielded chassis and a woody, nice! Also I like repurposing TV Compactron damper tubes for tube rectifier, nice slow start and cheap. Also the topology is one not seen that often, hope it sounds good. Also the utter simplicity is great. Nice job dude!
Old 16th February 2020, 06:48 PM   #14
niclaspa is offline niclaspa  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks! It does sound fantastic!

The damper diodes are really durable rectifiers. I have used them in other amplifiers and they seem to last forever, at least if used with a conservative current.

6S41S Single-Ended Cathode Follower AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!