• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help me decide which amp I should build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im trying to choose between two different Western Electric amps and Im hoping you can point me in the right direction.

I am debating between the WE124 or the WE118a. I would change the 118a to use 2 6L6s vs 4, but other then that it would be the same.

So ideally the only difference between the two amps would be the phase splitter. The 124 uses the input tubes as the phase splitter and the 118 uses an input transformer for the job.

Would love to hear your guy's thoughts on the matter.

I would go with a faithful 124 clone if you are dead set on only two output bottles per channel.

Why not use 4 per channel?

Im not dead set on two tubes per channel per se. However I already have the parts for two 6L6s per channel.

Plus the least efficient set of speakers I have are 90db efficient, so 50 watts is a bit overkill.

On the flip side, if there is a genuine benefit to making a faithful 118a over a 124, I am not completely opposed to it. It just means I will have to wait a couple more months so that I can afford the output and power transformer. I have been dragging my feet on this project for a few years, so a couple more months wont kill me.

I would wonder a bit about the power rating. The 124 says 12W @2% THD and 20W @ 5% THD. The 118 just says 50, but I think we can infer that this is 50W @5% THD at best.

16-32W is a nice amount of juice for 90dB speakers.

Both amps have 20-30dB of gain that you don't need too ;)

It sounds like the 124 is the way to go. It will have plenty of power and you have the parts already.

I would wonder a bit about the power rating. The 124 says 12W @2% THD and 20W @ 5% THD. The 118 just says 50, but I think we can infer that this is 50W @5% THD at best.

16-32W is a nice amount of juice for 90dB speakers.

Both amps have 20-30dB of gain that you don't need too ;)

It sounds like the 124 is the way to go. It will have plenty of power and you have the parts already.

Cool. 124 it is. Thank you for your input. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.