Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Do tubes actually sound like anything?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #271
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty123 View Post
Based on answers here + my own experiences I've determined the probability that tubes themselves do not have a sound. Even if we are talking about the I/V curves, I can make a solid state amp with identical curves to a triode, you would not be able to tell the difference by looking at it.

I was gunna make a plate driven super triode amp with variable current sharing (and therefore variable output impedance) for a friend but I don't see the point at all if the triode does not do anything unique to the sound.

triodes have nfb built in, that is why they can be made without the need for gnfb..

i built a triode connected KT88 pp amp, 8 output tubes per channel, based on the carver silver 7 design, while i provided for gnfb, after biasing the tubes and listening to the amp on speakers, i found out that there really is no need to connect the gnfb....that was about 7 years ago and the amp still lives...
Old Today, 12:07 AM   #272
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6vheater View Post
It only takes 99 999 examples out of 100 000 to prove statistically your one so called exception is fatally flawed rubbish.
Statistics do not apply.

This is not statistics, ie a very educated guess from a much smaller sample, it is the real world, and objective measures show that they do exist. There may not be many examples, but some show that they do exist, contrary to your statement. And there is nothing stopping there from being more, and maybe there will with greater level of understanding how you get around the shortcomings of current drive and near current drive can be overcome.

And the huge popularity of amps like the ACA means there are many who need to pay attention.

As an analogy, if i was in the early 1900s, the same statistical argument could be applied to cars… and biy would that argument have been shown wrong.
Old Today, 12:10 AM   #273
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I don't need to, with a perfectly adequate solution that waits for glue, wood cutting and some decent drivers.
Then why are you here? Unless you are interested in playing with or have such a high impedance amplifier, this thread is off-topic for you.

dave
Old Today, 12:11 AM   #274
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

the ACA used a single mosfet that had 6.4 Siemens of transconductance, you need hundreds of 300b's to even come close...

with high transconductance comes low output impedance....

nothing can be simpler than this.....NP digged up gold here....
Old Today, 12:15 AM   #275
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
YES, it's basically what ESA clearly states:- NO GOOD for LF.
I have the book and read it twice. He does not directly say that. He correctly states that finding a suitable woofer for current drive is almost impossible unless you get a batch made. It can be done. It has been done and there is no reason it canít be done.

For now we have to use tricks like Joeís (which i am not particualrily enamoured of) or a low Qms driver has to be put into a box that heavily damps the driver further. This too can be done.

Given i am a big fan of biamped WAWs using a voltage amp on the bottom and whatever i want on the top (impedance is flat) is an easy way out.

dave
Old Today, 12:21 AM   #276
AllenB is online now AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
YES, it's basically what ESA clearly states:- NO GOOD for LF.

"Current drive is at best in the midrange and beneficial also for treble,"

Any further questions?
Some context would help, I'd be interested in the stated reasons it isn't 'best'?
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #277
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
But it is not the driver that is distorting more under voltage drive, it is the amplifier that is.
You are only changing the amplifier, so that points to the changed component, but it is a system so hard to untangle the 2..

Quote:
an idea or an understanding often needs its moment in time
Iíll say. When i 1st wa stwigged to the possibilities (bty the WE old timer engineer) it took about a decade & a half for things to chrysalis, but my understanding is still improving as we see more discussion and more work.

dave
Old Today, 12:24 AM   #278
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
This thread is about sound of tubes.
And are we not discussing on eof the possible meachanism that affexts how they sound?

dave

Do tubes actually sound like anything?Hide this!Advertise here!