• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

reducing weight on twin reverb reissue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own a '72 one of those and have always wondered if I could still play the guitar after lugging it out of a van and into a club. No roadies for me in this incarnation...

I wouldnt touch the transformers, unless you want to risk ruining the amp. Possibly a "https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/290-876--eminence-tonkerlite-spec-sheet.pdf" speaker weighing only 4.1 lbs each might help.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, a "Neodymium magnet" will save about 4 pounds (2kg) overall with no real downside. (Assuming the cone-tone is similar.) Neo is the same Gauss in less pounds.

Any real change to transformers or cabinet, it won't be a Twin Reverb.

Do you honestly need that much amplifier? I remember when it was King, but today there are other choices, including miccing-up a small amp into the house PA system.

Twin Reverb is the King of the Blackface/Silverface Reverb family, basic same sound as the others in the series, but loudest one (and heaviest).

To get exact same sound but in a smaller /lighter package you can:

1) get a smaller "brother" but only 2 x 6L6 instead of 4.
That about halves transformer weight (and power, which in any way was excessive)

2) as suggested above, get an equivalent model Jensen Neo.
Since you halve the speaker complement and individual speaker weight, you save A LOT of weight.

3) to go even further, have custom made (maybe there´s a ready made one) a same size cabinet but fully out of lightweight ply, you might shave a couple extra pounds.

This way you keep the sound (same gain/clipping/crunch/clean/reverb/EQ/speaker response) in a less loud pack (which will probably be more usable) and which absolute worst case (HUGE stage) can be miked up.
With a HUGE weight saving.

Who needs a Twin anymore?

Fender keeps on cranking out these bunker busters for those who just think bigger is better.

Out my way, you can't really gig with them because they are too loud. They won't let beasts like that in the door.

For the last many decades, the deal is mike the amp, and let sound reinforcement provide the muscle. Gigs also like that because the guy in the back with a Mackie can dial you down if you get out of hand. Never met a guitar player that didn't dial it up as the drinks flowed and the night advanced.

Tons of classics were recorded with a mike'd champ. Maybe a Deluxe if you have a Tele, have chops, and want "that" sound.

Who needs a Twin anymore?

Fender keeps on cranking out these bunker busters for those who just think bigger is better.

Out my way, you can't really gig with them because they are too loud. They won't let beasts like that in the door.

For the last many decades, the deal is mike the amp, and let sound reinforcement provide the muscle. Gigs also like that because the guy in the back with a Mackie can dial you down if you get out of hand. Never met a guitar player that didn't dial it up as the drinks flowed and the night advanced.

Tons of classics were recorded with a mike'd champ. Maybe a Deluxe if you have a Tele, have chops, and want "that" sound.

I agree with you.
but the headroom which has, is unique.

I agree with you.
but the headroom which has, is unique.

Yeah, I get that. For years I had an Evil Twin - a close cousin.

They are clean clean clean, and your ears distort before the amp does. The ice pick in the ear thing takes some getting used to. For practice, I would banish the amp to the bathroom, snaking the cable through the door. Still pretty loud, but it would stop the other guys from complaining.

These days I play an early silver face Princeton with a JBL D110. Clean headroom is pretty close, and I can pick up the amp easy-peasy, though that JBL speaker is surprisingly heavy.

A black face champ gives me the other end of the spectrum.

Enjoy, whatever you decide.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.