• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido 6AU6/5687 transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would you suggest for the power transformer? Not that I need another line stage I just thought I would remake it. Made one years ago and it sounded great.

What I have for transformers is ones that are going to come out in excess of 350VDC when rectified.

Choices... use tube regulators which I do like or purchase a smaller transformer. Don't remember what the draw is on the line stage. Will have to look up the schematic.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> use tube regulators which I do like or purchase a smaller transformer.

Or simple resistors. It's probably a few mA, so it's only a few Watts.

One of the Heath systems started with 500V on the power bottles and dropped through a string of resistors to 90V on the first phono stage.

Aikido I have in mind.

I realize it has a lot of gain. I just like the sonic signature it has. There is something to be said for the 6AU6 and its close relatives. I think it would be an interesting match up with the Allen Model 75 mono block amps. Everything I have in my audio system has been home made or fished out of the dumpster and repaired. Heck my Marantz special Edition CD player I retrieved from the dumpster at work. Not to mention my Klipsch Cornwall Clone speakers.

Attachments

• AikidoAmp8.gif
    AikidoAmp8.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.