Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

TAD KT88-STR
TAD KT88-STR
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2019, 01:40 PM   #1
Qwin is offline Qwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default TAD KT88-STR

Does anyone have experience of the TAD KT88-STR (Tube Amp Doctor) ?
Its a Chinese tube (Shugaung).
Any views on how it sounds, consistency of manufacture or reliability would be appreciated.
Not a lot of info out there on this Brand.
Old 8th November 2019, 05:32 PM   #2
mdpaudio is offline mdpaudio
diyAudio Member

I’ve had a pair for two years now. It is a very nice sounding tube with great bass and smooth mids in my SET KT88 amp. The build quality is excellent and it has been reliable. The STR has double thick glass too. The price was good too. I’d buy them again.
Old 8th November 2019, 06:24 PM   #3
johnss is offline johnss  United States
diyAudio Member

shuguang has come a long way in the last few years. the quality they are putting out now is very good, and the sonics are much improved. try the shuguang Nature sound KT88s or their new tube the Western Electric KT88WE . both very good tubes and very musical sounding.
Old 8th November 2019, 06:51 PM   #4
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

They are actually made by a Chinese up and coming valve manufacturer Changsha Shuguang Electron Ltd.
HotRox are about the cheapest seller at the moment, RS components market them under their own label RS Pro.
Seem very well made, unlike the early days.
Old 8th November 2019, 07:38 PM   #5
Qwin is offline Qwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies, Hot Rox have good things to say about them, but have a vested interest, so it's good to get feedback from those that don't.

My application is driving some semi active three way speakers, I have class D covering Bass duties, and KT88 push pull for Mid/Twt. Sounds pretty good with the budget tubes that came with it, but looking to roll some better quality, without spending big bucks. For the price being asked, the TAD's have got to be worth a try and the supplier is reasonably local, at least in the same country anyway.

First stage is Sovtek 6922, bit forward at the top and slightly grainy by accounts I've read, but not too bad in my set up. I'm going to try some NOS Matsushita PCC88 (7DJ8) in there, again reasonably priced and a good rep.

My only other experience with tubes was a Croft Pre Amp a few years back, I ran that with the stock items that came with it. So I'm a relative newbie to the world of tubes and there designations, which can be daunting at first.

Last edited by Qwin; 8th November 2019 at 07:41 PM.

TAD KT88-STRHide this!Advertise here!