Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Wiring question regarding kit build.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2019, 12:50 AM   #1
charnich74 is offline charnich74  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wiring question regarding kit build.

Hi everyone. I'm building a 6P14 / EL84 push pull chinese kit (6P14/EL84 Vacuum Tube Power Amplifier Class AB Stereo Audio Amp DIY KIT 13W+13W 940106145338 | eBay) . XraytonyB did a an excellent build series of it on youtube. It seems like a good kit but the instructions are absolute crap. I'm to the point of wiring the transformers. The kit included a thick shielded wire, about the size and shape of a computer power cord. It consists of 4 small wires (appx 22-24 gauge each) color coded red black green and yellow, encased in a thick black rubbery cord. No end terminals on either side. The instruction don't make mention of the shielded wire and they enclosed multitudes of miscellaneous wires. I didn't use any of them as I wanted to use a higher quality wire. I'm a novice and I don't know the rules of thumb regard where to use the shielded wire. I can only guess perhaps it should run between the 110v a/c input to the power transformer? If anyone can enlighten me I'd really appreciate it .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cord pic.jpg (259.7 KB, 152 views)
Old 8th November 2019, 08:14 PM   #2
pcan is offline pcan  Italy
diyAudio Member

It appears to be meant to connect the front panel power switch to the input power socket (red/black wires) and primary transformer winding (green/yellow wires). See the picture of the built amplifier you linked. I once tried to use shielded power cables but they are thick and inflexible. Regular cable twisted togheter with additional shrink tubing insulation works just as well electrically, and it is easier to put in place.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:56 AM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

No need for shielding on power cables, and it is unlikely that the shielded cable is rated for mains use. Having said that, I can't actually see a shield in that cable you show.

Unlikely that 'higher quality wire' will make any difference to the circuit operation.
Old 9th November 2019, 12:45 PM   #4
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charnich74 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm building a 6P14 / EL84 push pull chinese kit (6P14/EL84 Vacuum Tube Power Amplifier Class AB Stereo Audio Amp DIY KIT 13W+13W 940106145338 | eBay) . XraytonyB did a an excellent build series of it on youtube. It seems like a good kit but the instructions are absolute crap. I'm to the point of wiring the transformers. The kit included a thick shielded wire, about the size and shape of a computer power cord. It consists of 4 small wires (appx 22-24 gauge each) color coded red black green and yellow, encased in a thick black rubbery cord. No end terminals on either side. The instruction don't make mention of the shielded wire and they enclosed multitudes of miscellaneous wires. I didn't use any of them as I wanted to use a higher quality wire. I'm a novice and I don't know the rules of thumb regard where to use the shielded wire. I can only guess perhaps it should run between the 110v a/c input to the power transformer? If anyone can enlighten me I'd really appreciate it .
It is not a shielded cable, it is a common cable with four conductors inside, I agree with what has been highlighted.
Old 9th November 2019, 09:01 PM   #5
PRR is online now PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Similar question on another forum:
Question regarding kit build.

There it was pointed out that the power switch feed wraps around sensitive audio nodes and might reasonably be shielded (as well as twisted).

Wiring question regarding kit build.Hide this!Advertise here!