• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wiring question regarding kit build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. I'm building a 6P14 / EL84 push pull chinese kit (6P14/EL84 Vacuum Tube Power Amplifier Class AB Stereo Audio Amp DIY KIT 13W+13W 940106145338 | eBay) . XraytonyB did a an excellent build series of it on youtube. It seems like a good kit but the instructions are absolute crap. I'm to the point of wiring the transformers. The kit included a thick shielded wire, about the size and shape of a computer power cord. It consists of 4 small wires (appx 22-24 gauge each) color coded red black green and yellow, encased in a thick black rubbery cord. No end terminals on either side. The instruction don't make mention of the shielded wire and they enclosed multitudes of miscellaneous wires. I didn't use any of them as I wanted to use a higher quality wire. I'm a novice and I don't know the rules of thumb regard where to use the shielded wire. I can only guess perhaps it should run between the 110v a/c input to the power transformer? If anyone can enlighten me I'd really appreciate it .

Attachments

• cord pic.jpg
    cord pic.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 205
Joined 2015
Paid Member
It appears to be meant to connect the front panel power switch to the input power socket (red/black wires) and primary transformer winding (green/yellow wires). See the picture of the built amplifier you linked. I once tried to use shielded power cables but they are thick and inflexible. Regular cable twisted togheter with additional shrink tubing insulation works just as well electrically, and it is easier to put in place.

Hi everyone. I'm building a 6P14 / EL84 push pull chinese kit (6P14/EL84 Vacuum Tube Power Amplifier Class AB Stereo Audio Amp DIY KIT 13W+13W 940106145338 | eBay) . XraytonyB did a an excellent build series of it on youtube. It seems like a good kit but the instructions are absolute crap. I'm to the point of wiring the transformers. The kit included a thick shielded wire, about the size and shape of a computer power cord. It consists of 4 small wires (appx 22-24 gauge each) color coded red black green and yellow, encased in a thick black rubbery cord. No end terminals on either side. The instruction don't make mention of the shielded wire and they enclosed multitudes of miscellaneous wires. I didn't use any of them as I wanted to use a higher quality wire. I'm a novice and I don't know the rules of thumb regard where to use the shielded wire. I can only guess perhaps it should run between the 110v a/c input to the power transformer? If anyone can enlighten me I'd really appreciate it .

It is not a shielded cable, it is a common cable with four conductors inside, I agree with what has been highlighted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.