• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best way to reduce gain in this circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A current source is a very high value resistor and as long as the current matches (bias voltage same) there should be no problem. As the anode load is a cc, this can be done on the cathode side as well, looks similar to a phase splitter, without gain. As there is a buffer as well there is no issue with the load of this circuit.

For those who are interested. My final solution was to replace the 1M on the input with a voltage divider make from two 33k resistors. Works perfectly...

Attachments

• Aikidoesque-6N14P-6N6P-Volume-relays (1).svg.jpg
    Aikidoesque-6N14P-6N6P-Volume-relays (1).svg.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 130
In this case i would replace the 2 resistors with the volume control an connect the output directly with the tubes. Now the buffer amp has no use, only if the volume control is fully open you benefit from this buffer. You just add more noise and no drive on the output. This is bad design.

Joined 2011
In this case i would replace the 2 resistors with the volume control an connect the output directly with the tubes. Now the buffer amp has no use, only if the volume control is fully open you benefit from this buffer. You just add more noise and no drive on the output. This is bad design.

The buffer is for the input stage, so that it can operate properly, unloaded.
Only in this way do the tube sections cancel their distortion as intended.
This is good design.

Sure, but it has to drive the next stage (long cables to the power amp etc), not a volume pot. The output impedance now varies with the position of this pot, thus it is a bad design.

With a larger coupling cap, this design will drive 32R headphones. A varying load above 2k hardly seems like a problem. And it's not a pot, it's a relay volume control.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.