• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Any very good sounding tube headphone amp ideas?

I don't think you're ruining this thread, it's always good to be aware of adequate transformator isolation.

Have a look at this (click on the product picture and scroll them through). TTSAS0020 - SUPREME AUDIO grade transformer TSAS20VA - voltage to 50V - Shop Toroidy.pl

OK, thanks, then I will continue to not ruin your thread.

I attached a pic of my tubelabs se #45 amp.

The power tranny is in the chassis, back left corner in picture.
In case you're wondering, these are actually #46 tubes with an 4 to 5 pin adapter.

I had a breadboard version, will see if I can dig up a pic of that, which was really quiet, no hum. When I moved it into the chassis shown, hum showed up.

In the breadboard, power tranny was in the front of everything, in the front left.

I have tried adding some strips of magnetic shielding material on top of the power tranny, but based on comments the field is going around my material, was wondering why it didn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions for making a housing? What material to use that isn't too expensive?
I'm thinking about moving the power tranny outside the box, and see if it helps. Might even try a 2 box solution. Would move it to the left of chassis, left of the rectifier tube.

Pic rotated when I imported. My references are if the front was facing towards you.

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_4115.jpg
    IMG_4115.jpg
    891.1 KB · Views: 661
... Im about to make another one with some 10Y,s because I want to see if thoriated tungsten cathode dht,s are as good as Ale and Andy Evans say they are. I will use the same chassis because if I can make one quiet I hopefully can repeat it...
You can use a VT25 (=10Y), 801A for TT and a VT25A for oxide. Don't believe the stories Ale and Andy tell you, those valves are way better than what they say. :D

And Geoff, pictures of your amp do help others attempting similar challenge.

Last edited:
Ive never tried loading pics but Ill have a go if it will help. I already have a nice pair of 10Y s. Ale recently kindly tested some of my dht,s and the 10Y,s came out 100%. Couldnt say the same for my 01A,s and 26,s which were down to 50% emission. Its risky buying from ebay.

I had a breadboard version, will see if I can dig up a pic of that, which was really quiet, no hum. When I moved it into the chassis shown, hum showed up.

In the breadboard, power tranny was in the front of everything, in the front left.

I have tried adding some strips of magnetic shielding material on top of the power tranny, but based on comments the field is going around my material, was wondering why it didn't seem to make a difference.
Randy

EM fields couple,what under normal conditions goes unnoticed. Because of distance fields weaken, so the effect drops under the radar. It is a fact none complete shielding weakens the coupling, think about the heads of a taperecorder for instance. Shure, for optimal result there must be several layers of different (magnetic) properties so the energy is soaked. Just like isolation of airborn energy.

I have a construction question. I saw this picture today,
GG%20ANGLE.jpg

It appears that this company mounts stuffs on a piece of wood and then stuff the whole structure inside a metal case. Only need to drill 4 metal holes. Drilling wood holes is so much easier than drilling metal. Any downside?

Last edited:
Any suggestions for making a housing? What material to use that isn't too expensive?
I'm thinking about moving the power tranny outside the box, and see if it helps. Might even try a 2 box solution. Would move it to the left of chassis, left of the rectifier tube.

Pic rotated when I imported. My references are if the front was facing towards you.

Randy

Modushop by Hi-Fi 2000 | Contenitori per Elettronica | Electronic Enclosures | Hi Fi Chassis
Buy amplifier chassis and get free shipping on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

And similar. You'll find one I'm sure. (Hopefully these fit into your budget). I tried a big flat, very nice looking all aluminum case for my father (he builds a Class AB tube amp with KT150s), it arrived and we were stunned by the quality and precise craftmanship of that case. A simple cheapo Chinese case from Aliexpress. If machines are set well, they can produce quality stuff too. I'd give it a try. ;) It was something very similar to this one.

I also bought a small standing case for my little cheapo fun-project ("what can a $1 class D 25W amp module do?") :) Something like this, with different default cutouts. I packed in 2 good-old Russian military grade transformers from my father, a graetz bridge, 2 big LOW ESR 10k uF caps, ceramic caps and the 2 little Class D modules themselves (these here) .. now they cost a little bit more lol :D The set sound amazing (compared to its price of course, but absolutely okay otherwise for 'kitchen listening' when my wife is cooking something :D Anyway... you should try one of these cases. ;)

Does anyone in Hungary or EU make a cheap 8k:50 (12.5:1) output transformer good for 5 watts output at reasonable bandwidth? If so, you could make a super-simple single-stage OPT-coupled amp that could sound quite good, and for cheap too.

Edcor in the USA makes such a transformer:
EDCOR - XSE10-8K

Perhaps a triode-wired D3a or Soviet-era 6Zh52P into such an OPT? 6S45P?

I used a triode-wired 12GN7A and it's working quite well. It has only 6dB gain after the step-down, but that's enough for my needs.

The design could not be simpler.

Audio is a volume control on the input, triode-wired pentode with cathode bias (fully bypassed), into the above-mentioned Edcor output transformer.

Power supply is solid-state rectified 500VCT 150mA EI core transformer, choke-input with a common stage of RC decoupling, and then one more RC decoupling per channel. Target Ebb is about +180V DC. Heater supply is 6.3V AC, elevated to +30V with a simple resistive voltage divider. Somehow I managed to wire it cleanly enough that there is no audible hum, none at all.

Easily point-to-point wired (no PCB necessary).

I can post a schematic and a picture of my little monster after I get home. I built it into a discarded amp chassis, so it's not pretty. But it's functional.
--

Schematic of my little monster, attached.
I use it to drive Sennheiser HD650 (actually Massdrop HD-6XX) and Fostex T50RP. It drives the Sennheisers better, but it can drive the Fostex cans to satisfyingly loud volume.

I have an Objective2 amp to compare. I find the O2 sounds more sharply detailed, and of course its bass response is more authoritative ('faster', 'punchier') and sounds like it goes lower in frequency. I find the little monster sounds smoother, a bit darker in the highs, generally more mellow. But it does not sound woolly, fuzzy or 'slow'. Just a tad 'dark', which I actually like. That could be the sound of the OPTs, which are cheap (about $25 USD each) and probably have limited bandwidth compared to $100+ OPTs.

Attachments

• 'Spud' 12HL7-Triode Headphone Amp_PASSIVE-PSU_01.png
    'Spud' 12HL7-Triode Headphone Amp_PASSIVE-PSU_01.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 734
I'll bet those Electra-Print OPTs would perform better than the Edcor OPTs I used. The step-down ratio of the 8k:50 Edcor OPTs is 12.5:1, while the step-down ratio of a 5k:100 transformer is more like 7.07:1. That means you would probably get more gain from the same circuit if using a 5k:100 OPT. That would be nice.

I think the primary inductance of the Edcor OPTs is only about 8H. If your OPTs have a much higher Lpri, then you should get better low bass response. I found I get good-enough bass response using 12HL7, but it didn't work with triode-wired 6J9P (rp of that triode is too high).
--

Last edited: