Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Jan's HV regulator
Jan's HV regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2019, 03:05 PM   #1
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Jan's HV regulator

Thread split from: Tube amp high-voltage delay

Thanks Mark - never saw that AR amp! Seems like a nice touch.

The controller is really a no-brainer; after switching the HV on it goes to sleep, switching everything off, its clocks, timers, what have you. It just becomes a blob of dead silicon sipping away a few tens of microamps.

In The Netherlands we have a saying that means something like: 'unknown makes unloved'

Here on my bench I have a completed design of a HV regulator for tube amps. Less than 1mV noise, no sagging under load, light, low heat. No need for additional power supply.

A single R sets the output anywhere between 0V and 580V. A single R sets the current limit to anywhere between 5mA and 1A. Fully overload and short-circuit protected. A tube amp's wet dream.

But I am hesitant to publish it because it contains - gasp - an opamp ...

Jan
Old 16th October 2019, 08:27 PM   #2
chede is offline chede  Germany
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

Jan's HV regulator
Hi Jan,
I actually would be very interested in that

We have a lot of mains voltage fluctuations here, which makes setting bias current on my opto bias regulated EL84PP quite time-consuming, and I‘m also concerned of overvoltage conditions during start-up, when the tubes are not drawing enough current yet ...

I‘m using my external power supply alternating for the EL84 amp or for my Aikido pre-amp, and an easy way of re-setting it for the different amps would also be appreciated. Right now, B+ for the power amp is done unregulated, but for the Aikido of course regulated.

Regards, Claas
Old 16th October 2019, 08:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Claas, what are the voltage and current requirements?

Jan
Old 16th October 2019, 09:22 PM   #4
gerrittube is offline gerrittube
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan,

First of all thanks for sharing your delay circuit.

I would like to know more about your hv powersupply. This sounds very promising indeed. I have a transformer 440V 800mA to make a nice psu.

Regards, Gerrit
Old 16th October 2019, 09:34 PM   #5
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

Jan's HV regulator
Hi Jan,

for the EL84PP it would be B+ of 320V and 175mA, or alternatively, up to 340V and let‘s say 150mA.

For the Aikido, my implementation runs with 250V B+ and up to 80mA of current, depending on tubes used.

Best regards, Claas
Old 16th October 2019, 09:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

That should be fine. I will prepare a package for you and contact you off-line.

This is how it will look.

Jan
Attached Images
File Type: png TregTS 3d view.PNG (141.9 KB, 683 views)
Old 16th October 2019, 09:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrittube View Post
Hi Jan,

First of all thanks for sharing your delay circuit.

I would like to know more about your hv powersupply. This sounds very promising indeed. I have a transformer 440V 800mA to make a nice psu.

Regards, Gerrit
Hi Gerrit,

Currently the regulator can handle 600V absolute max input. With your 440V that will reach, when rectified, higher than that.
I can probably find some parts for a higher voltage, let me check that out.

Jan
Old 17th October 2019, 08:54 AM   #8
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

Jan's HV regulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post

This is how it will look.

Jan
Hi Jan, looking very good and that board looks small enough to fit

Thanks and best regards, Claas
Old 17th October 2019, 07:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

OK, here is the circuit. See if you can parse this

Jan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TregTS-2-corr cct.pdf (85.3 KB, 321 views)
Old 17th October 2019, 09:24 PM   #10
gerrittube is offline gerrittube
diyAudio Member

Jan,

I’m trying to understand the hv regulator circuit. It’s impressive and I would like to build one, if I can find the right components. Do you have any thoughts on a PCB?

Regards, Gerrit

Jan's HV regulatorHide this!Advertise here!