Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Jan's HV regulator
Jan's HV regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2019, 08:47 AM   #21
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

I am writing the design up for an article, and drew this conceptual diagram. Should help to grok it.

Jan
Attached Images
File Type: png fig 1.PNG (41.4 KB, 271 views)
Old 19th October 2019, 09:36 AM   #22
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Jan's HV regulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post

But I am hesitant to publish it because it contains - gasp - an opamp ...

As far as sound goes the opamp is a minor issue compared to the series topology. Never liked it, no matter what the pass element, even when using a valve.

Obviously according to my taste, ears, systems.
Old 19th October 2019, 10:53 AM   #23
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
As far as sound goes the opamp is a minor issue compared to the series topology. Never liked it, no matter what the pass element, even when using a valve.

Obviously according to my taste, ears, systems.
Under which circumstances did you use the serial regulator you did not appreciate? Was it a low PSRR circuit of a voltage amplifier, a high current final, SE or PP?

As far as regulators go, my preference is also with the shunt type, but one has to be practical w.r.t. dissipation...
Old 19th October 2019, 11:01 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

I just found out that earlier I posted an older schematic. The actual schematic and the PCB I have available does have a 12V zener across G-S of the pass device ...

I'm getting too old for this stuff

Jan
Old 19th October 2019, 11:39 AM   #25
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Jan's HV regulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
but one has to be practical w.r.t. dissipation...
Indeed. I have never attempted to supply a valve power amp with regulated voltage, so yes, if one absolutely has to do it, a series regulator is the only practical option.

The question of regulation by itself is interesting. Personally, i have no interest in using regulation as a substitute for a good passive power supply. My interest goes only as far as regulation can bring sonic improvements additional to what a pile of chokes and caps can do. In this context i find shunt regulation beneficial. Series can perhaps make things lighter and cheaper and pacify an engineering god, but as far as music reproduction goes i hear only negatives.
Old 19th October 2019, 11:47 AM   #26
v4lve lover is offline v4lve lover  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Location: Surrounded by glass, no really my room is full of tubes
Jan's HV regulator
Nice circuit! I am very interested, i just wanted to share this application note from IXYS about linear operation of fet's.

And recommend a different pass device, in case your going to run the supply hard (high input output differential voltage) for instance as a experimenting supply.
IXTP15N50L2

https://www.ixys.com/Documents/AppNotes/IXAN0068.pdf

Old 19th October 2019, 01:18 PM   #27
TheGimp is online now TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice circuit Jan. I am interested in a board and parts as well.

One question, as show in your first schematic. The reference current through R11 looks like it will only drop 127.6V across R11, so the output voltage is one diode drop (D3) less at ~127V.

Is this correct for the values shown in your circuit?
Old 19th October 2019, 01:59 PM   #28
deafbykhorns is offline deafbykhorns  United States
diyAudio Member

Jan,
You should start a group buy
I’ll take acouple boards and smd for my
Old 19th October 2019, 02:10 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lve lover View Post
Nice circuit! I am very interested, i just wanted to share this application note from IXYS about linear operation of fet's.

And recommend a different pass device, in case your going to run the supply hard (high input output differential voltage) for instance as a experimenting supply.
IXTP15N50L2

https://www.ixys.com/Documents/AppNotes/IXAN0068.pdf

Thanks for that app note! There are several devices SOA-specified that are of interest. I selected the FDP12N600NZ because it has a SOA of 400mA at 600V. This is important for short-circuit protection, because at that condition the full input voltage (max 600V in this case) is across the device.

In fact, I placed a TO247 footprint on the PCB in case I find a device for even higher current/voltage,but no luck so far.
The IXTB30N100L (600V 500mA), IXTN62N50L (400V 750mA) and IXTK22N100L (800V 300mA) are of intererst.

By the way, what they call electro-thermal instability is also known in the industry as the Spirito effect, after the guy who discovered it.

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 19th October 2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 19th October 2019, 02:12 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
Nice circuit Jan. I am interested in a board and parts as well.

One question, as show in your first schematic. The reference current through R11 looks like it will only drop 127.6V across R11, so the output voltage is one diode drop (D3) less at ~127V.

Is this correct for the values shown in your circuit?
I don't think so. The ref goes to the non-inverting input through a 100R stopper R only. The diode is there for reverse protection at start-up.
But that schematic is not the final one. I will take the suggestion to set up a Group Buy and post the final circuit there.

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 19th October 2019 at 02:16 PM.

Jan's HV regulatorHide this!Advertise here!